How do I clean this properly and keep the color?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 93stang, Jul 29, 2012.

1. 93stang

93stang Member

This coin has a lot of gunk on the reverse that needs to be removed. The coin has a beautiful red color that I want on it. How do I remove the gunk without removing the color? Thanks. 1343452324-picsay-1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I don't think that it can be done. The red color here is not a thin film layer that can produce a red tone effect, but more the red from deeper corrosion or if it had been with iron content of soil. This type of red is often seen on nickel-copper coins such as buffaloes that have been underground, or in a rusty steel box.

Jim

4. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I noticed when I soaked a corroded steel ceint in distilled water corrosion was removed. I wouldn't do anything besides alcohol and distilled water on coppers. From what I have read here, acetone doesn't do much for coppers. Maybe distilled water for several days, then some alcohol, then distilled water again. If that doesn't work leave as is.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I have to go along with Jim, what you want to do can't be done. That coin is extremely corroded and there is not 1 thing you can do about it. And for whatever it's worth, the grade label on the picture, the coin is not AU. The coin is damaged and ungradeable.

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

She's a goner so pretty much anything you can think of doing to her is on the table. Personally, I'd let the poor girl be.

7. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

They're right. Nothing is going to help this one.

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

She suffered enough. ;)

9. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

The coin appears to be corroded severely and the color is not natural. There is little that can be done to "improve" it and nothing that can be done to get it pristine. There is likely extensive underlying damage to the metal that will be revealed once the gunk comes off and this damage cannot be reversed.

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Heavy corrosion, nothing can be done without making the coin look even worse. Let it as it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted