How do I catalogue my Mints and Proofs?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Illinois Newby, Dec 4, 2016.

1. First i want to thank you all for the information and encouragement. Now that I know better how to handle the sets, I would like some suggestions on how to organize them. currently they are in tote boxes and the Proofs are intermixed with the Mints. I assume it is best to separate the two and make lists of each. Is an excel spreadsheet sufficient or should I list them in a particular manner? Storage is also a problem, what is suggested?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I use Excel to inventory my collection and find it work well for me. I would do an inventory first, separating as I go. Then it may be easier to figure out what and how much storage is needed. Most of my coins I keep in cigar boxes, in a safe. Very low end storage. All of this is an ongoing process so I sugest to start out simple and then upgrade as you learn more, and choose what you want.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

ldhair and alurid like this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I started off with just a ledger. It's important to start early recording each purchase. It may be important in the future to have records of what you paid for every item.

6. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Chris,

Have you found an acceptable storage box for the modern mint sets post 2007? I've had to come up with my own box, but it doesn't compare to the heavy duty ones sold by JP. What are you using for those sets?

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I stopped collecting both mint and proof sets when the Mint changed from SQ's & (Soaring Eagle) Sac's to ATB quarters & Native American dollars. I just got fed up with lousy designs and higher prices.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted