How did I do today? USSR Proof Sets / Stamps

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Dec 18, 2013.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

USSR Olympic Proof Sets (red booklets, 9 coins & mint token in each set)
    *1976 Set of Coins of the USSR (Leningrad Mint)
    *1977 Set of Coins of the USSR (Leningrad Mint)

USSR Proof Set (yellow booklet, 9 coins & mint token)
    *1987 Set of Coins of the USSR (Leningrad Mint)

USSR 1980 Olympic Stamp Sets (red booklets)

and, hidden behind the 1987 set,

*1988 Soviet victory in Calgary hockey stamp UNC uncut sheet
    *1987 Soviet ships/admirals stamps UNC uncut sheet

All for $20...

jon12 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Definitely worth more than 20 dollars. I don't know much about stamps but the 1976 mint set alone is worth close to 80-100 dollars or more depending on the variety.
    I think the 1977 mint set in red box is worth significantly more since they are rarely issued in this color. Can't give you a price on this.

I reckon you would get 10x of what you paid for but again, please don't quote me on this.

stldanceartist likes this.
  4. stldanceartist

And to think...I bought them because I thought they looked cool and the 1976 set was "made" in my birth year. Who knew?

If I take/post photos, do you think you have some more info on them? Here ya go (tell me if you need better or more purposeful photos.)

photo 5.JPG
    photo 1-2.JPG
    photo 2-2.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    photo 4.JPG

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

The key is definitely the 1976 mint set. The rest of the mint sets are around 20-30 dollars each. However, the 1976 and 1977 mint set in red case is definitely not common - don't be mistaken to believe that they are common. Sure enough, the coins may be common but not the boxes. Most collectors may not pay premium for them however all you need is a couple of collectors to fight over it.

I'm not a big variety collector and therefore not able to help you much on it. However do give a check on ebay's completed section and get a rough idea of the prices.

6. stldanceartist

I gave a quick glance at eBay and saw that some auctions that did pretty well had the 1976 or 1977 set mixed in with the 1980 stamp sets...is this how they are supposed to be packaged? When I purchased them, the 76 and 77 sets were together, and the two 80 stamp sets were there together. The loose stamps were tucked safely behind the 87 set (bonus! didn't know they were there...)

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

There were various packaging issued - I am not well versed in this area. Most mint sets were either issued in yellow or dark green.

From my understanding, the ones in red boxes were issued specfically for the 1980 Moscow Olympics and came together with stamps. While I have seen a few 1976 mint sets in red boxes, 1976 20 and 50 kopek being semi key coins, 1977 mint set in red box is not common. I do have both but my 1977 mint set unfortunately is in a poorer condition.

It's only in the last few years collectors have found out that some scarce or rarer varieties can only be found in certain type of mint sets. That said, I am still confident that the entire set is worth more than 20 dollars easily.

8. stldanceartist

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of varieties should I look for?
    (should be helpful information when I list them)

I can also look it up myself, although a web link would be very helpful.

9. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

It's not something you can search online stldanceartist. There are specific catalogs for Soviet coins and I have been trying to hunt for them to no avail.

Draft saved Draft deleted