How did I do?? 1879 Indian Head Cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinman1234, Apr 18, 2015.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I already got a bunch of coins when I decided to check my dealer's penny tray, I have never checked it before. He has a Choice BU 1910 Cent for $16, AU Indians from the 1900's for $15 and BU 1909 VDB cents for $20.

I only had $15 remaining on my budget but I wanted everything there. Anyways, What I decided to buy was a nice 1879 Indian for $15.

It's funny because my coin dealer will charge $35 for a 1921 Morgan in EF condition but will have good deals somewhere else.

What do you think?? Did I do good? How much is it worth and what is it's grade?
    He graded this as Fine-12
    a1879o-horz.jpg
    Sorry for bad photos, I took the obverse and reverse in different lighting, the reverse had overly saturated lighting, the obverse shows a better representation of color.

loopytoad74 and Gilbert like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I think you did very well. It looks closer to VF-35 to me.

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It may be the images, but the coin appears to have environmental damage throughout.

5. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about environmental damage, I'm not seeing anything bad in hand. I took the photos outside in the sun which may have made the coin look funny. You know more than me on this though and copper is not my biggest focus.

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

You've seen it in-hand so I would have to defer to you, but the surfaces look soft likes these IHCs get when they are lightly corroded from being dug.

coinman1234 likes this.
  7. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

I'm also in the VF camp nice buy.
    The others seem like good deals also.

coinman1234 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted