How could NGC do this ? Do I have any recourse for this ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bear32211, Sep 10, 2021.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You appear to be arguing with yourself.

Kentucky and charley like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Great pics. If I have this right, without your request, they cleaned it then graded it cleaned?

bear32211 likes this.
  4. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

great question that I simply can't answer because it has not happened like this to me before. But it's the same piece. The reverse shows dark points left side of the "O" on the slabbed piece. 1891o ob slab.jpg 1891-O before rev.jpg

charley likes this.
  5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Casman, posted:

":angelic::angelic:1) In theory yes but immunity is a defense.

2) Yes, but not advisable as a judgement will issue.

3) Not advisable, but you can defend yourself and will lose your time which unless you’re retired you will lose your hourly/salary.

4) Yes and No. You used the word frivolous. If a judge determines it is in fact frivolous you can receive damages.

I wasn’t trying to derail the thread, I too feel bad for the poster, and only meant to respond to misleading information. This is a coin forum and making nonsense allegations that can expose someone to liability coupled with: you can say whatever you want and it’s protected speech, sorta set me off."

Thanks, I have a better understanding now. I don't think it is the CT rules but the PCGS and NGC forums give us less rope." I've been hanged forever :muted: on both. :D

6. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Shakespeare, Oh Shakespeare, are you there?
    (insert smiley face anywhere)

7. charley

Then logic dictates you are arguing with a self-arguer...
    (insert a couple of smiley faces here)

8. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Never understood him, give me Samuel Clemons.

Dynoking, longshot and charley like this.
  9. charley

Concur.
    Mr. Clemens didn't speak Lawyer. Accordingly we are blessed with his Mark Twain persona.

bear32211 likes this.
  10. Revello

Revello Well-Known Member

I think the conservation process depends on the condition of the coin. I sent a coin in with verdigris and requested conservation. It removed the verdigris, thereby preserving the coin from further degradation. That obviously involved more than "dipping". I was very satisfied with their conservation service in that specific case.

charley and bear32211 like this.
  11. Revello

Bear - you can reach out and ask for a refund from the seller, but if the seller refuses (you need to check the terms & conditions associated with the sale), you're likely out of luck. You need to then avoid buying from that seller again. Trying to gauge the condition of a raw coin and whether it's been cleaned in the past from an online auction is a buyer beware scenario. That's the risk of remote purchases of raw coins, unless you get an ironclad guarantee from the seller or have superb photo images of the coin available to you (even then, there's risk). Just my suggestion based on past experience. I have taken and continue to take risks on purchasing raw coins in online auctions, and know that I'll likely get burned on occasion with my purchases.

bear32211 likes this.
  12. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

If you didn’t ask for conservation I’d make the phone your friend and call them.

13. Revello

Can you clarify who you are referring to when you say "ignorant nobody"? If you mean Bear, who started this thread, I'm really offended by such a "superior than thou" tone from someone whom I think, based on your profile credentials, is very knowledgeable on coin grading. Bear's questions and postings were seeking advice and others' opinions, in good faith. When others suggested he recheck his submission form to see if he asked for conservation, he recognized he had and apologized. I don't appreciate someone now coming in to slam him as "ignorant nobody" if Bear was whom you're referring to.

14. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

No they did not keep his dime and send him a different coin. I could easily tell they were the same dime. You shouldn't be making comments about something you have no proof of. His dime was dipped by NGC. Personally I wouldn't have done anything to it and I wouldn't bother sending it in to be graded either but, that's just my opinion.

Insider and Revello like this.
  15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's easy to not engage which would end it if everyone ignored it

16. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Good grief, nobody’s picking on Da Bear…it was this: Odds are, they kept you Dime because it had color, and sent you one that had already been cleaned in their stock. They probably are going to sell it to another collector that uses their service a lot.

Insider likes this.
  17. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

masterswimmer, posted: "Unfortunately I don't know the conservation process. Some more familiar with that procedure have stated it is basically a dip that removes toning.'

Usually when a post starts out as I'm no expert on; I know nothing about; etc. I treat it as most should :yack::yack::yack::vomit: if they think about it. Thankfully you did the right thing and told us where this nonsense (basically a dip) came from. I cannot count the number of coins I've examined over the decades that have been ruined by "a basic dip." One day, after the stream of $$$$ income slows down, the folks that do excellent conservation work will be able to explain what they do with specific problems. And count on this. Some of the best of them have coins that "Blow up" on them for no know reason.

Revello, posted: "I think the conservation process depends on the condition of the coin. [AMEN & PERIOD] I sent a coin in with verdigris and requested conservation. It removed the verdigris, thereby preserving the coin from further degradation. That obviously involved more than "dipping". I was very satisfied with their conservation service in that specific case."

Revello, asked me: "Can you clarify who you are referring to when you say "ignorant nobody"? If you mean Bear, who started this thread, I'm really offended by such a "superior than thou" tone from someone whom I think, based on your profile credentials, is very knowledgeable on coin grading. Bear's questions and postings were seeking advice and others' opinions, in good faith. When others suggested he recheck his submission form to see if he asked for conservation, he recognized he had and apologized. I don't appreciate someone now coming in to slam him as "ignorant nobody" if Bear was whom you're referring to."

Sure. :D
    Since I've :bucktooth: been known to get fired up :rage: and then stick my :stinkyfeet: foot in my mouth :oops: when I didn't comprehend a post in my native language :facepalm::eggface::blackeye:, I'll let this member :bookworm::cigar: (thanks @Casman) who can figure it out answer you:

Casman, posted: "Good grief, nobody’s picking on Da Bear…it was this: Odds are, they kept you Dime because it had color, and sent you one that had already been cleaned in their stock. They probably are going to sell it to another collector that uses their service a lot."

Dynoking and Kentucky like this.
  18. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Does NGC provide the service of coin conservation for free? Seems to me the best place to look to settle this part of the argument is the invoice received for NGC's grading service.

19. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Sorry to have offended you. :muted:

20. charley

I'm good.
    I forgive you for all past trespasses.

(insert smiley face here)

21. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Come on Charley, why would you think I was sorry for offending YOU?

(Smiley face thought about, but not inserted), however, I'll give you the cursory lol.

charley likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted