How could NGC do this ? Do I have any recourse for this ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bear32211, Sep 10, 2021.

1. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

4325607_Full_Rev.jpg I submitted multiple items to NGC for grading. The coins are finally being shipped back but I'm pissed. I sent in an 1891-O Seated Dime. See the first pictures, dark with beautiful detail. The second is what I'm getting back. They cleaned my dime then slab it and state AU-Cleaned. You can even look around the date to see left over dark areas from the original. What the heck is going on? What can I do, THEY ruined the dime and this was not the only piece. Anyone have this happen to them, this cost me money for them to damage my Seated Dime. NGC should give me my money back for this. 91o o g.jpg 91o r g.jpg 4325607_Full_Obv.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I like the original way it was too . What did they say ? :nailbiting:

4. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

could just be the lighting is different in there photo compared to yours. The mark around the 8 is the same on both pics and also the dark spot in the fold by her elbow is the same on both.

5. bear32211

I just got info in an e-mail of them being shipped back to me today. Who would I contact there to inquire as to why this happened ?

6. bear32211

No it was quiet dark no question it's been cleaned by how it shines now compared to the original pics. This is not right.

7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I wish I knew . Awaiting more responses . :nailbiting:

Mr.Q and bear32211 like this.
  8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Nothing NGC would or could intentionally do to a coin would ever render it details, and certainly never cleaned. Now if someone requests conservation and it reveals an old cleaning, that's a different matter.

Did you request conservation for the coin on submission or after the fact if they contacted you saying a coin on your submission was a good candidate for conservation?

9. bear32211

No, I did not ask for conservation. Are you then saying that if someone asks for "conservation" they will clean coins ? Not very good if they then slab it and say it's cleaned, ruins everything we want when slabbed.

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  10. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I agree with COOPER12. Wait until it comes in. I think it is just the lighting making it look so much brighter.

11. bear32211

We will see but they must have master blaster lighting because of how dark the dime was before I sent it in by taking my pictures, so I'll be very surprised if it is still dark when I get it back. Very disappointed right now with what I see.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Did you submit the coins using their online form? Is it possible that you accidentally checked the box for conservation?

Call NGC and ask to speak to Scott Schechter. I think their number is (800)642-2646.

JPD3, OldSilverDollar and bear32211 like this.
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It would not be the first time that a coin was conserved and subsequently revealed an underlying problem. When I was an active member of the NGC Collectors Society, this subject was discussed on a few occasions.

14. bear32211

I did use their on line forms trying to locate my copy right now to check, but, dang, it looked great before shipping it in and if "conservation" does this, then I've ruined the Dime by checking a box I didn't need to do.

15. bear32211

Then it's a learning experience by "conserving" a coin that didn't need it, thus, the coin is now damaged and worthless in my eyes.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'll start off by saying wait until you receive the coin, it could easily still look exactly like it did when you sent it in.

Yes, they have been doing that for many, many years, dating back to the 1990s.

As Jaelus mentioned, it is rather common that when a toned coin is dipped (and that is how the TPGs "conserve" - just a euphemism for clean - toned coins), that signs of a previous harsh/improper cleaning can be revealed. Toning quite often covers up things like this and it cannot be seen, so once the toning is removed then you can see it !

It's not that they do a bad job, not at all. It's simply that what could not be seen previously, can now be seen. And as I said, it's fairly common for that to happen.

17. GDJMSP

In all fairness, you don't know that it has been conserved - yet. Wait until you receive the coin !

The toning that shows up in your pics of the coin, if the TPG pic was taken from a certain angle, that toning would just disappear in their pic.

The toning could very easily still be there !

Now understand, I don't know for a fact that anything happened either way. I'm merely explaining what might be the case.

18. bear32211

I'll be on pins and needles and the problem now is, that will I get my package in the mail before I leave on vacation ? Just disappointed at a what is now a useless item.

19. bear32211

Fingers crossed. I want the toning to be there from what I see it's gone.

20. GDJMSP

Bear it's very common for that to happen with pictures. Look at these 2 sets of pics.

1911_Proof_half_crown_obv 1.jpg 1911_Proof_half_crown_rev 1.jpg

1911_Proof_half_crown_obv.jpg 1911_Proof_half_crown_rev.jpg

That's the exact same coin in both sets of those pictures. And I took those pictures only seconds apart. I did absolutely nothing to the coin, all I did was to change the angle of the lighting by 1/4 inch.

What I'm telling you is - that's what can happen with pictures. That's why the NGC pics could easily look so different from your pics.

JPD3, Cheech9712, NSP and 10 others like this.
  21. bear32211

Look everyone, I don't ship much at all to get graded, we know it ain't cheap, but when you expect one thing and it turns out completely different, yeah I'm a little upset right now. Over reaction, probably, but not the way I expected the outcome.

love old coins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted