how common are silver quarters in circulation?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kdkenn, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Grand Bayou

Grand Bayou New Member

Picked up a 53d dime at the hospital yesterday. Occasionally get a silver nickel. Prob from kids in their grand parents collections

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Grand Bayou

Grand Bayou New Member

Picked up a 53d dime at the hospital yesterday. Occasionally get a silver nickel. Prob from kids in their grand parents collections

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I used to check all my change when I was a kid in the 1970s. Found a lot of silver quarters, well, for a kid and his change.
    not much in the 80s and 90s. Maybe 1 since.

5. steve63

steve63 Active Member

I got back into coin roll hunting about six months ago after many years. Since then I've found five silver dimes and four silver war nickels in coin rolls. So far, I've found zero silver quarters.

It's pretty clear that most silver coins that show up in circulation nowadays were just recently re-introduced. They were probably sitting in some jar or piggy bank for decades and were recently put back into circulation by someone who didn't realize their value. Dimes, nickels and cents are far more likely to be sitting in a place like that for many years. But not nearly as many people would let quarters accumulate somewhere for that long...they are more likely to roll them and exchange for cash or to quickly re-spend them in vending machines, etc. I think that explains why you never see silver quarters in circulation, people just don't save quarters without spending them like they might with smaller change, so there are less older ones being unwittingly reintroduced to circulation today . The fact is there are just not many pre-1965 silver quarters left that have not been intentionally pulled from circulation for collections or melted.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  6. MoneyHungry

MoneyHungry angel in a earth suit

When I would start losing at the tables and slot machine operated on coins I used to get a bucket of nickels. Then I would look for war nickels and wait for the dealer to change.

7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

State quarters haven't been mentioned. Since 1999 the mintages have increased exponentially and that's made finding silver quarters that much harder.

8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I went through a box of quarters last week. Had never done one so, I thought I would give it a try. 75% of each role are state or national parks and recreation. I just looked at the edges about a quarter of the way through no silver.

9. CoinZone

CoinZone Active Member

I have 5 silver quarters, and I don't remember when I got them.
    Had to be change from a store, I have never searched quarter rolls.
    Oldest is a 1941.

10. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Dang what the hell+!

11. kaosleeroy108

Extremely rare but possible , everyone is searching I say be like 4% chance

12. David Zylstra

David Zylstra New Member

My experience has been similar. As a cashier at a local 7-11, I was lucky to find one silver quarter in my nine months of employment there. Silver dimes are several times more common, as are war time nickels. There is a neighborhood gas station where these finds seemed to run in streaks. It's in a economically depressed neighborhood.

13. David Zylstra

David Zylstra New Member

My experience has been similar. As a cashier at a local 7-11, I was lucky to find one silver quarter in my nine months of employment there. Silver dimes are several times more common, as are war time nickels. There is a neighborhood gas station where these finds seemed to run in streaks. It's in a economically depressed neighborhood.

14. David Zylstra

David Zylstra New Member

My experience has been similar. As a cashier at a local 7-11, I was lucky enough to find one silver quarter in my nine months of employment there. Silver dimes are several times more common, as are war time nickels. There is a neighborhood gas station where these coin finds seem to run in streaks. It's in an economically depressed neighborhood.

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Keep clicking post.

16. ACoinJob

ACoinJob There are still some out there to be had.

Good luck if you do find silver coins in your pocket change. I still check mine. But the reason why is because they quit minting them, and out of circulation in so long, it's tough to get anyone to spend them, so I'm not alone in this. Your question was "How Common"? Mathematically, several million went to melt down, divided by several billion clad coins now in common circulation. Take the melt number and subtract it from the mintage for the last few years, then divide the remainder by the billions of quarters now in circulation. Something like 25,000,000 / 35,000,000,000 for clad quarters pre 1999 Statehood quarters. The answer came back as 0.00071428571 or 1 divided by this number is a ratio you would likely find in circulation as silver compared to clad pre 1999. I got ( 1 : 1400 ) as silver quarters to pre 1999 clad quarters.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  17. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

Go through the safe deposit boxes maybe?

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

She wrote that 8 years ago.

19. kaosleeroy108

You got about 15-25% chance of finding one in circulation

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

20. kaosleeroy108

At the rolling of next year it will be down to 5-15%

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

21. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

Had a guy who runs a route of drink machines outside major retailers. He used to bring me several hundred dollars worth at a time about twice a year. Haven't seen him in two years.

Draft saved Draft deleted