How coins were made

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by davidh, Apr 9, 2017.

1. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

VDB, RonSanderson, Paul M. and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thank you for the links!

4. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

Thank you davidh! I had seen the first one but all the rest were cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

You had to expect I'd post this!

6. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

That was included in my link above, "Making a Mint."

Unanswered is the question, how did the ancients make blanks that were (more or less) uniform in weight? Personally I think they made the molten metal into a strip or thin bar, then cut pieces of equal size/weight and then remelted each piece into a round blob. After cooling the blob was pounded flat and then struck with the dies.

davidharmier60firefox likes this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Why not ask this question in the ancient forum?

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

In some cases, perhaps they did, but ancient coins often show traces of where the sprue from the casting process has been cut off, such as this silver denarius of Julia Domna, which shows a piece of the sprue remaining at the 9:00 position:

Domna Four Seasons denarius.jpg

Note also this bronze pentassarion of Gordian III and Tranquillina, minted at Anchialus in Thrace. At the 6:00 position on the obverse, you can see a chunk missing from the flan where the sprue was broken off:

Gordian III and Tranquillina Anchialus Asklepios.jpg

VDB likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They show them pouring silver into a one sided mold. I would think your would get a much more consistent flan weight using a two sided mold.

Of course if you are going to cast flans using two sided molds, why not just add the designs to the molds and cast the coins? You see in the videos where they make the blank molds. If they had the design of the coin on that "punch" they could make multiple molds all with the same image. Think of China and their cast coinage that they did for over two thousand years.

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

And, well, sometimes there is a bit more of a casting sprue that never was removed from the cast blank:

[​IMG]

As this hemilitron from Syracuse would suggest.

Roman Collector likes this.
  11. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

12. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

In the video they say that they did not solve the uniform weight problem. The results they obtained were good enough for their die wear project, so they didn't do more work on the weight.

If you've seen videos of sand casting, it's pretty easy to extend what they did do to a 2 sided mold and that would certainly have been within ancient technology.

13. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

And continue to do now, I would add.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The only cast coins being made in China now are counterfeits of cast Chinese coins. The counterfeits of US and other countries coins made in the past ten years or more are die struck fakes not cast. (In some cases the DIES they used may have been cast, but the coins were die struck.)

15. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Exactly.

16. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

We have a tendency to "compress time" when talking about "the ancients" - as though there were only 100 or so of them and they did everything all together on one afternoon ~2000 years ago (it was a Tuesday, I think...) and were done with it. You have to remember that "ancient coins" by even the most stringent definition of "ancient" were struck over a period of no less than 1000 years and, even considering only the coins of Classical Western Antiquity, they were struck in a huge number of places around the Mediterranean Basin.
    Techniques for producing blanks and dies might vary from place to place at any given time since there was no broad dissemination of information about how mints worked. This was probably due to equal parts of it being a trade secret and the doings of slaves being beneath the notice of all but those intimately involved with slaves and directing their work. This makes out understanding of it all the more complex today, as well.
    What was done in Athens in the 5th century BC when striking pure silver (as pure as the technology was able to refine) "Owls" was VASTLY different from what was being done in Trier or Rome or Siscia or Antioch in the 4th century AD., striking "silvered" billon coins which were meant to be more of a simple disc than the highly sculptural (and totally un-stackable) coins of an earlier era.
    The process of creating blanks, how they were prepared for striking - and this is an important point, coin blanks were NOT heated red-hot and struck while hot to facilitate striking. Aside from it being impossible to maintain blanks in the narrow temperature band between solid and liquid (which is 100's of degrees with iron and only 10's of degrees in silver, copper, gold, etc) and even given some ability to control the temperature of blanks in a furnace adjacent to the anvil, it would be impossible to move them fast enough and strike them before they had cooled and re-hardened. Also, heating to that temperature would have created fire-scale on the surface of the blanks and would have seriously complicated the process of producing attractive coins. Blanks WERE heated before striking, but it was an annealing process to relieve the work hardening they had received in the process of being flattened from cast balls to more or less disc-shaped blanks.
    The flans thus produced were then most likely "pickled" in an acid solution to remove any remaining fire-scale - and in the case of "silvered billon" to dissolve enough of the copper from the surface that when struck a silver-enriched surface resulted.
    They would virtually invariably have been struck cold to facilitate handling and to reduce the heating of the dies which striking creates and which will make dies deteriorate and fail more quickly than if steps are taken to keep the dies cooler.
    This is all at least modestly complex and dependent upon the level of technology available to each of the hundreds of coin-producing cultures and entities across the time-span of "antiquity".
    The large bronze or copper flans for some Hellenistic coins - like those of the Ptolemies and a great many of the Roman Provincial coins - were only struck after a relatively complex machining process to remove any debris and/or hardened metal from the flans' surfaces, and in some cases to trim the edges as well - this left the little "dimples" in the centers of the coins which have puzzled so many as to how and why they were created.
    I suppose I could go on at greater length here, but what I really wanted to impress on folks is the fact that "the ancients" didn't do anything one specific way, they did not have had the same fantastic rate of technological development which sometimes benefits us and under which we also often labor to keep up. They began with different situations and processes in hundreds of different places at hundreds of different times. Then technological improvements were adapted as they were were discovered - and in some cases abandoned as they were forgotten or found to be uneconomical.
    The main point is antiquity didn't happen all at once or in any coherently contiguous area. Antiquity was an "age", not an event, and the ancient "participants" were as different from place to place and time to time as any randomly chosen bunch of folks from various different countries over even just a couple of centuries would be today.

17. Burton Strauss III

@lehmansterms: No No No. Tuesday afternoon was set aside for the hair salon. Ancients were made WEDNESDAY morning and finished before lunch - they had a 1pm tee time.

Actually, great post!

18. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

Thanks! I just need to add that oversimplified, sweeping generalizations are always wrong...
    ( ;<{D}

19. Burton Strauss III

Not to mention extrapolating from one data point.

Draft saved Draft deleted