How cleaning can degrade silver antoninian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gogili1977, Dec 18, 2017.

1. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

I try to improve, highlight details of my silver antoninian of Gordian III and unfortunately I degrade my coin, especially on the obverse side. Cleaning is always a gamble, sometimes we get, and sometimes we lose. It is cleaned chemicaly with apple cider and glycerin. Probably coin is firstly ruined in the soil, and then I accelerated this process.
    Before cleaning:
    072-12A1.jpg 072-12B1.jpg
    After cleaning:
    072-12A.jpg 072-12B.jpg

ominus1, Marsyas Mike and Alegandron like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Too bad, never heard of cleaning coins with applecider.
    Gordianus Antoninius coins are only 40% silver , I once cleaned this Julia Domna denarius , made of a higher silver contence.

used a mix of water& decalcification cleaner:

P1160287cleaned2bb.jpg

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

5. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Acidic products should, in my opinion be left as a last resort. Distilled water and acetone are two of the best first methods to try. I have a Probus Ant that I have been soaking in distilled water for a few days and using wet toothpicks to remove grunge. It is working well. (Will have pics in the future.) Acetone will remove organics. I recommend verdicare as a great product for silver and copper alike.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/VERDI-CARE...003042&hash=item41a67606f8:g:6XEAAOSwwbdWN-Kn
    I am working on a Gallienus Ant that it working great for.

Justin Lee and gogili1977 like this.
  6. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Billon coins with a lot of bronze need to be cleaned like they are bronze coins. Otherwise you get this porous surface as all the copper gets leached out. I would not use anything acidic on them.

I have several billion ants that came out of the ground all porous like this. The later the coin the worse this gets.

gogili1977 and Kentucky like this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I don't clean my silver/billon coins and I've had middling results on bronze. On the bronze I've used distilled water/olive oil and a dental pick. I tried liquid descaler but it is very difficult to use successfully.

gogili1977 and Andres2 like this.
  8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Bummer! I've heard that ammonia can be good when there's a fairly high copper content, but I've also heard warnings against doing this. Any thoughts on this?

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Awful

10. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Ammonia works well but should only be used on high AR content. Short soaks of five minutes or less.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  11. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

I should have added "in my limited experience". I've always heard not on AE but I have not tried either. This Achaean league hemidrachm was covered with a thick black gunk and looked like it had been in a fire before treatment.

Mantineia_Achaean_league.jpg

12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

13. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Let this be a lesson to all the quacks that promote cleaning ancient silver with lemon juice and other acids. When dealing with ancient coins, you have to be very gentle. Acids should always be a last resort, and when used, require constant supervision to avoid damage. Leaving a coin soaking in any acid for any significant time, even a mild one, is a recipe for disaster.

Always try distilled water, then acetone, and if something stronger is required, try Verdicare...or even prolonged soaks in olive oil, and if that doesnt work and the coin has a 50% or higher silver content then move to 1 part ammonia and 3 parts distilled water (or another gentle substance like the one andres2 used) and only soak for a brief few minutes at most (when in doubt, pull the coin out, examine for any adverse reactions, and then determine if further soaking is needed).

(Warning, Potin coins should never be exposed to Ammonia, so avoid cleaning provincial coins with that method).Avoid cleaning any bronze or debased coinage with it too.

Any mild acids should be a last resort on the coin, and it should only be exposed to them very very briefly and the acid must be neutralized.

Hopefully this lesson keeps other coins from being ruined. Also, I would have left OP coin in its original state as it was already a problem coin with crystallized surfaces. Some coins should just never be messed with.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted