How can you tell if a coin has silver in it?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tammy West, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Tammy West

Tammy West New Member

How can you tell if a coin has silver in it I have a 1946 nickel that I would like to find out if I have silver in them took it to my neighborhood corn and collection but the guy was not too friendly could someone please help me

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The nickels with silver are from 1942-1945, all of the 1943-1945 have silver, some of the 1942 have silver and some do not. The ones with the large mintmark over the dome on the reverse have silver.
    Dimes 1964 and before. Quarters 1964 and before.
    Halves 1965-1970 40%, 1964 and before 90%.
    Silver dollars 1935 and before. I think the S minted Eisenhower dollars 71,72,73,74 are 40% but they also made non silver ones in 73 and 74.
    There are tiny 3 cent coins that have silver. 1851-1873
    There are other larger 3 cent coins that do not. 1863-1889
    There are 20 cent coins that have silver 1875-1878.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

What did the corn say to you? o_O
    (I know.. corny joke)

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. Tammy West

Tammy West New Member

I

8. Tammy West

Tammy West New Member

Thank you. I seen a video where they said some of the 1946 nickels where made wrong and some ended up with silver in them. Just wondering how you would know.

9. Tammy West

Tammy West New Member

Thanks for your help. I also have a 1939, 1940, and 1941 nickel. Are they worth holding on to?

10. Tammy West

Tammy West New Member

11. Tammy West

Tammy West New Member

Yes that's what I seen. Thanks so much for the info.

12. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Is there a reason you think one of them might be silver?... I've always thought the silver war nickels stood out pretty obviously when surrounded by nickel-copper. They are a slightly different shade of grey, they wear more aggressively and silver tones differently than nickel.

I also strongly suggest you find better sources of numismatic information than youtubes.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

When worn the war nickel composition coins do tend to have a different color, but that can be subjective. A specific gravity test would be a good start, and XRF test would be definitive.

14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

This may sound silly. Silver has a very specific ring when dropped on a hard surface (something most would frown on). Nickel composite nickels have more of a thud. Silver rings. How’s that for a scientific synopsis?

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's unlikely your 46 is silver. There have been a few. As for the 39 40 41
    pictures are necessary but unless it's a 39-D or 39-S they won't have much value.
    The 1939 is very common and unless it is in great condition, it might be worth a dime.

16. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Have you tried the "tissue test"?
    Guess which is silver.

20180314_205151.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  17. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Value for those dates are directly related to the coins condition. If you're interested in the hobby, get yourself a Red Book. It's actual title is "A Guide Book of United States Coins". On the top of the cover, it will say "The Official Red Book". This book is a great learning tool.

For example, it will teach you the fundamentals of grading. It will teach you the different which coins in a series are more rare. They are referred to as "key dates". For example, if your 1939 Nickel is from the Denver or San Francisco mint, it's worth more than one minted in Philly. There is so much more to the hobby, but buying this book is a good place to start. Book will cost around $20.

18. Tammy West

Tammy West New Member

Thank you all for info. I found this intriguing and you learn a lot about our history to I appreciate all your time

JPeace$ likes this.
  19. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

Hommer likes this.
  20. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Hope you stick around. There are many interesting things to learn about the coins themselves and the "time" in which they were minted.

I have a couple early 1800 US Coins. It's cool to think they were minted 25-30 years after we declared our independence.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted