How can I tell authenticity of Spanish 8 Reales?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by fusiafinch, Jul 19, 2011.

1. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

Here's a real nice early Spanish 8 reales listed on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260818487601&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Is there some site or book that helps me determine the authenticity of Spanish 8 reales? This piece looks real, but I'm not an expert and even though the seller seems honest, I don't think he's an expert either.

I've heard that the edge pattern helps determine this. Anybody else collect these? Any input would be appreciated.

Steve

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

And, another fly in the ointment. The high bidder on this coin is a brand new member who's only bid on one item..... This coin!

Kinda strange. I don't like to see this because I suspect someone for the seller bidding it up. But The seller seems like an honest broker.

philologus_1 likes this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

If real, its an extremely nice coin. I would not be too anxious at the price, though, on Ebay. Its a touch better than my best one, but for that price I would pass personally.

There have been lots of these faked, so I say at that price you would be better off buying from a dealer with a guarantee.

5. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

Judging by that bidder, if it was known when he/she joined, I might call 'shill'. Only 3 bids, same item...smell's fishy to me. If the bidder just joined, I'd definitely call 'shenanigans'. Seller might have thought it wasn't being bid up enough. I hate sellers that get that way (lots of shilling going on.....neyronix on ebay, who has great FB is infamous for shills). Either start it at what you'd be happy with, or don't list at all. I hope that 'bidder' doesn't bump you too high. Should that 'bidder' win it, I'd check the profile after FB is left...unless there is none, and it gets listed again....THEN we'll REALLY know. Good luck!!!

philologus_1 likes this.
  6. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

Thanks for your opinions. You know, I think I'll deal with a real dealer on this one. I'd like to get a nice coin like this from this period, but I'd be willing to pay more if I got it from a reputable dealer.

I'm outbid on it and I think I'll just let it go. But I'm interested in where this settles out on the final price.

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

If authentic, it is worth that price. Mine are just a hair less quality, but got them for less than half that a couple years ago.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I have my doubts about it being genuine. For one thing the 1733 is one of toughest dates to get from the Mexico mint since most of them were all lost on shipwrecks. For another some of the design elements are wrong for the 1733 coins.

crazybob likes this.
  9. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

Can you share one example of a design element being wrong for this date? Thanks.

10. jfransch

jfransch Numismatist

Basically this coin doesn't "look right" to me.The crown over the globes on a 1733 MoMF has a double arc. The coin pictured has a single arc. The florets on the reverse (date side) look wrong. 1733 is as pointed out above a very tough date to fill with a non salvaged coin. 4 distinct major varieties, all rare, and several sub varieties. Be very leery of this coin on ebay, lots of fakes and some of them are very deceptive. I would never advise buying a pillar dollar, especially a 1732 or 1733 dated coin without holding the coin in hand and checking all three sides very carefully

11. brightspirit1

brightspirit1 Member

I would also be very careful. The first raw coin I bought on Ebay was a nice looking Peace Dollar, 1924 S. Submitted it to PCGS and it came back in a body bag (someone "worked" on the back). The second coin I bought was cleaned. If I buy a coin based on a photo, I want it graded by a TPG (and, even then, I have often been disappointed). Nothing like seeing a coin in person from a reputable dealer.

12. GDJMSP

13. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

Thanks everyone.

I like history, so I looked around some more and found a dealer specializing in these coins and he was selling some shipwreck coins from the Rooswijk. The price was lower and even though it's a salvage coin, it looked good and it comes with a certificate of authenticity from the people who retrieved it. So I got that. I can post a photo when I get it.

I just wanted something real with history behind it.

14. jfransch

jfransch Numismatist

I also love history and that is why I collect 8 Reales. They were the coin of the world for a hundred years. I'm looking forward to seeing yours when it arrives. Here is one of mine, salvaged from the Coffin's Patch wreck off Florida by a friend of mine. Fresh from the mint condition aside from a 240 year dunk in the ocean.
    1733MoF003.jpg 1733MoF004.jpg

longshot and 1776 like this.
  15. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

Thanks jfransch for the photo. Mine will be 1737 and has similar surfaces. Great historical coins.

16. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

Holy Cow Batman! That thing sold for $1,940. A flurry of bidding at the end.

Too much for me.

17. GDJMSP

I feel sorry for the buyer :(

18. jfransch

jfransch Numismatist

Someone over paid for what is most likely a fake coin. Another ebay buyer living in clueless bliss.

19. Hates Politics

Hates Politics New Member

I read what you guys wrote back then and I learned a lot, but I still need help to make sure I get a real coin. What dealers on ebay are ok to deal with?

20. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

They can't be both a shill and honest.

philologus_1 likes this.
  21. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Welcome to CoinTalk.

You might get more/better answers to your question by starting a new thread. I can't speak for others, but I usually scroll past threads that I see have been necro-bumped. (Not this one, obviously, but most of them.)

Draft saved Draft deleted