How can I purchase a coin press?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Wok to Huang, Nov 26, 2011.

1. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

No, I intended it to be that way.

John doe said: "If I had a coin press, I'd be making a ton of 1909 S VDBs"

I said: "There sure is a lot of demand for those 1990 S VDBs" (Which there really is'nt)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. VACookey

VACookey New Member

So basically the entire point of this thread was race baiting?

4. rush2112

rush2112 Junior Member

The ghost writer made was only trying to make a point which he did.

Although illegal, several years ago, the Franklin Mint defaced 40,000 US quarters to promote a movie for Twentieth Century Fox. I never heard about any jail time or fines for those involved.

Had a company from China been involved, I am sure someone would be doing jail time or would have been forced to pay a large fine.

If I am wrong about a fine not being imposed on the Franklin Mint, correct me.

5. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

I called Troll 4 pages ago and was 100% Accurate... ;)

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

When I was a sophomore in college I had a sociology professor who, on the first day of class, gave us this assignment. We were to all do something that related to our appearance......but something totally noticeable and out of the ordinary (the wackier the better). We were to observe the reactions of people we encountered and interacted with, write up our findings and experiences, and submit them in a paper for a grade. One fellow I knew put an earring in his ear and attached a string with a pencil to it. I remember the odd looks he would get, and how he would appear in other classes with me, taking notes with that string attached pencil. Men wearing earrings now may not be odd but back in the early 70's it was quite out of the ordinary. I chose to wear a barrette in my hair. Mens hairstyles back then were quite a bit longer than they are today, and the barrette worked quite well at keeping the hair out of my eyes. :) But it didn't serve to keep me out of the public eye. I was toyed and taunted for wearing it. I was ridiculed and bashed. My astronomy professor, in front of a full lecture hall, stopped his lecture at one point, and commented about how nice and pretty my hair looked. I worked the "student sort" at UPS at the time and received many off color remarks from the workers there. In short, it taught me something, and that is you never take the full measure of a man (or women) based on outward appearances. For a brief moment in time I walked on the other side, that of the "odd fellow". People pre-judged me based on appearance. Something akin to what has happened in this thread.........

7. Henslac

Henslac New Member

Sorry,

I don't like the premise of your argument only because this man was intentionally misleading people to make a ridiculous point. Stereotypes are usually based on some reality. Although you mislead people as part of a project, I don't think that is really what is important here. Some things people can't change, such as skin color. However I think he only made the stereotype worse by "Strongly implying" that he would make fake coins. Anyways, just my two cents.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

First of all it isn't illegal unless one is trying to produce fraud, so there would be no legal action against either.

9. green18

He never mentioned "fakes". He only spoke of "art works".........

And that's where you were snookered.....

10. Henslac

Henslac New Member

Yes, however he did mention actually currency which means either "reproduction" or "fakes". Both are slightly taboo here, however no matter the mans' skin color, most people are going to assume the worst in people. It's because most people if given the chance are going to go down that road if left to their own devices. That's why I have my wife, to keep me out of trouble :D

11. green18

May your dear wife continue to keep you "out of trouble". I know mine has......:)

12. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

I am unsubscribing from this thread, after this post. This is a no-win type of thread. I for one do not care for sneaky behaviour by anyone. A child's game, pretending to be someone you are not..trying to prove some POINT.. what WAS that point, by the way? Ghostwriter? Why subterfuge? Is CoinTalk the site you have selected to 'study' behaviour? Green18 writes that he participated in a college assignment, and learned thru it not to 'judge' a man/woman by appearances.. certainly we all strive for acceptance.

Ghostwriter, I do not deem your intentions to be pure and simple (stealing words from a previous poster!) but perhaps they are? What WAS it that you were/are after, I wonder. Obviously, it wasn't a press.

LucyRay

13. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Visitors are allowed on the floor as I did it.
    The ANA gets a mini tour every year at the Sumer Seminar and you get to go down and touch the press's and feel the coins as they come out (which are warm).
    It's quite neat and if your lucky you can get some of the employees to talk to you about the inner workings.

14. Wok to Huang

Wok to Huang New Member

"Ghostwriter, I do not deem your intentions to be pure and simple (stealing words from a previous poster!) but perhaps they are? What WAS it that you were/are after, I wonder. Obviously, it wasn't a press."

Well to be honest, it was initially a tactful dig at a certain coin creator/alter or from the west. I had just seen one of his online advertisements, and was disturbed at how he not only tip-toes the line of legality, but receives praise for his work. I guess I see him as he is; someone who traded his ethics for money a long time ago. This post wasn't really suppose to be about stereotyping, or even head in that direction, but you can't deny that the facade did affect reaction. Look I usually don't even hang out on this forum, and I didn't mean to hurt any feelings. I just wanted to get a point across.

15. VACookey

VACookey New Member

I didn't see anyone giving him a hard time because he's supposedly Chinese. So this whole thing is bunk. He came in here asking how to get a coin press. Some people supported the idea and some people didn't. The disapproval had nothing to do with the OP's race. It had to do with disapproving of minting your own coins. To assume what someone's intent is, in itself, racist. I suppose if the OP was a lily white European, all those same disapproving people would've been A-OK with the idea? No.

This whole thread is pointless, hateful, divisive, and has no place here. I'm disgusted that it's not only allowed to stay up, but that moderators are actually participating and encouraging it.

16. Wok to Huang

Wok to Huang New Member

Sorry people are too sensitive for a post like this. I was just trying to proove a point, but it turned out to be a disaster. Please remove the post.

17. Wok to Huang

Wok to Huang New Member

中國有五千年硬幣行業。並非所有的中國人是造假者。請不要見怪我的消息。 Please delete post.

18. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I think you mean "delete the thread", which won't happen. There's a few informative links and some good info mixed in with the negativity.

19. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

translation: China has five thousand coin industry. Not all Chinese are counterfeiters. Please forgive me the news.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You quoted the wrong law. Intent to commit fraud is not needed.

Title 18 chapter 25 Section 475
    § 475. Imitating obligations or securities; advertisements

Whoever designs, engraves, prints, makes, or executes, or utters, issues, distributes, circulates, or uses any business or professional card, notice, placard, circular, handbill, or advertisement in the likeness or similitude of any obligation or security of the United States issued under or authorized by any Act of Congress or writes, prints, or otherwise impresses upon or attaches to any such instrument, obligation, or security, or any coin of the United States, any business or professional card, notice, or advertisement, or any notice or advertisement whatever, shall be fined under this title.

There was no fine though. They issued a cease and desist order and they stopped. So they let it go.

21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Has that law been tested though? I have seen court cases ruling a coin is personal property, and the owner is free to do what he wishes with it. Congress can pass any law they wish, it does not mean its Constitutional, and you will never know until challenged.

I would not be afraid to violate this law with respect to coins. I believe as long as fraud was not involved I would win in court due to precedent. Currency, though, I would not be willing to violate this law on. The negotiability of currency notes makes them completely different, legally, than coinage. I would say this law would be controlling for FRN's.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted