How Can I Get Indian Head Pennies?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jason Large-Green, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Jason Large-Green

Jason Large-Green New Member

I am new to coin collecting and only started about four months ago. So far i have about 70 wheat pennies, 5 steel pennies, and 5 Indian head pennies with the earliest being 1893. I often go to a bank where they give me boxes of pennies and I search through them. I haven't found an Indian head penny in a box yet though.

Where can I get free or cheap Indian head pennies?

Amos 811 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Chances are pretty darn good that you wont and you cant!
    Free if family members give you some. Cheap if they are beat to heck (culls)

4. skully88

skully88 Active Member

Family members is the ticket! My mom just gave me a small bag of about 30 of them from my dad's old safe. That with a bunch of silver certificates. Haven't gone through them yet but will here shortly.

Amos 811 likes this.
  5. Jason Large-Green

Nobody in my family collects coins.....

6. skully88

skully88 Active Member

Neither did mine until we opened the safe. Wasn't a bunch but enough to have fun with.

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  7. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

8. Jason Large-Green

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Seek and you shall find........and welcome to the forum dear fellow. :)

10. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

My LCS has a cull bin for .50 each. Last time I pulled out some 1880s Indians, a 1905 in XF with gunk on the reverse, and a 1902 in AU with verdigris and rim damage.

11. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

between me and a friend, last year we got 13 IHC, and $50 in wheats searching rolls.

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

The word free sounds like a contradiction in a nation built with the strongest capitalism in the world. However, have you approached anyone about trading some of you wheat's for Indian heads? You may not trade one for one but it is a source. I also think any coin club would be happy to have you join their circle and they may be another source. lastly, even eBay has some for a dollar or two. At 16 you may have to give up some gasoline money, but the coin will outlast the car ride. Good luck and welcome.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Jwt708 and Jason Large-Green like this.
  13. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Find a friend that has a time traveling machine, or invent one. That might be tricky to do for free or cheap though. If you pull it off, go back in time, get some, then bring them back. Other than that, you will probably have to pay for them.

Vess1 likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have been looking at coins since about 1950 and have NEVER found an Indian...I know some people have, but not me. Welcome to the forum

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

By being lucky at a bank. You can't get free money anywhere and if they're cheap there is a reason why. Not trying to be a jerk but a lot of big money people have explored that option as well.

If you are asking from a collector standpoint, ebay and most dealers have boxes of lower value coins you can pick up, but finding at face value will just be luck.

16. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

Try scouring your local flea markets. Almost every one of them has somebody selling these things.

joecoincollect likes this.
  17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You're not getting your boxes of Cents from the bank for free. Why would you expect to get IHC's for free? :)

joecoincollect likes this.
  18. johnrpva

johnrpva Active Member

I actually got a 1907 IHC in Fine as change at a gas station in Seattle in 2010. I immediately asked if I could get 25 pennies in exchange for a quarter...that mission accomplished but no more treasure finds. Don't you hate getting red, shiny pennies in change?

19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I found a 1904 in a box of pennies I got from the bank. Not in great condition but I was happy to find it. Coin shops usually have them for under a buck, but if you're looking for a nice one save a little cash and get one!

20. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Unless you're living in a hut in a 3rd world African nation, you go to this little website called "eBay" and pony up.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

21. rp3989

rp3989 Active Member

In the 3 years that i have been coin roll hunting cents. I have found only 1 IHC. Lots of Wheaties and about a dozen Canadian cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted