How can I get coin rolls?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by LincolnLover2369, Jan 7, 2018.

1. I'm only 13 so I don't have a bank account or a car to drive my self to get rolls of coins.
    My dad is always reluctant to go to the bank so I don't get rolls of coins very often. Is there a better way to get rolls of coins or am I out of luck?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

Im in the same boat as you, I would say ask for a roll for your birth day or somthing like that.

4. Well that sucks because my birthday was the 26th of December. Sympathy for you bud.

5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Bummer. When I was a kid (many years ago), my non-collecting parents tolerated my hobby and helped me to get rolls to search and occasionally took me to the local coin shop.

If you get $$ as a gift for your birthday or Christmas, you could use that to open an account at a nearby bank (ride your bike if it's too far to walk). You could also get out and shovel snow or cut grass to make some $$ (this used to be the primary source of my coin budget). Also, if you have a local coin club, see if your parents will take you or drop you off at the monthly meetings. Coin clubs love young numismatists, plus you'll learn a heck of lot.

Short of that, keep trying to read as much as you can about coins. My Uncle showed me his small collection when I was 6 and I was hooked. I've stayed with it for almost 50 years and I could never put a value on what I've learned about history over the years. It 's priceless.

Best of luck

TexAg likes this.
  6. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Do you have a bicycle? When I was 13, I rode my bike to the bank and bought rolls of coins.

eddiespin likes this.
  7. No, even if I did my dad wouldn't let me.

8. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Go with your mom to the grocery store. Bring some cash with you and go ask the customer service clerk if they have rolls. Try the local convenience store. I have gotten rolls from them. Have your parents use cash more often and ask to look through their change. Find coke machines that accept dollar bills. Put the bill in and hit return change. Four quarters for you.

Come on, surely, you kids are more creative than the old guys. They are just lazy and go to the bank. Put those thinking caps on. Coins don't always have to come in rolls.

eddiespin and Kentucky like this.
  9. Well I did try the Walmart that I live right by but they said they won't give me rolls because they don't have many and will only use them for the cashier.

10. But the vending machine idea is really clever. thank you

11. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Keep trying. Don't get discouraged. Part of this hobby is the thrill of the hunt.

12. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

Or maybe a car wash on mom or dads route? Same deal but cents try any store? you may only get 2 but be persistent. What part of the country do you live in?

13. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

another idea for youngsters.. carry a bunch of pennies with you to convenience stores and ask if you can exchange them with their "take a penny /leave a penny cup"...

14. TX

15. abuckmaster147

hmm to far for me to send ya some economically but I will bet A well known member May just help .Ya never know! ;)
    I lived in garland for a year in my youth.

16. abuckmaster147

Or just thought about it How about in the lunch room at your school? do they still use coin in your school. You may be able to trade a roll for a roll?

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The best way I'd say to start out then is with a junior savings account and trying to build good relationships with your tellers. Your parents would control the account as far as withdrawals go and all you'd be able to do is make deposits. Let them know you're a coin collector and ask if they'll hold back the coin they're throwing away. I'll bet you didn't know that, that banks throw away coin. Mostly it's foreign coin, but not always, but it's the coin that rejects from their machines. Most banks just chuck that right in the garbage. Ask them if they'll put those rejects in a bag for you. As they see you're a good customer, making periodic deposits, they'll want to help you. As far as your parents go, how can you go wrong with them? You're learning how to save, and getting experience in banking. :)

352sdeer likes this.
  18. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

Dang these are good Ideas I should try my self! Being a young collector may be hard but it has its perks, when we are older we get a head start!

352sdeer and eddiespin like this.
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Well that in itself is at least some recommendation for us old guys. Good luck! :)

352sdeer likes this.
  20. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

That is what I was doing a couple years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted