How can I get bags of coins from coin sorting machines?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by paveltul, Oct 22, 2017.

1. paveltul

paveltul Member

I heard that you can get bags of coins from coinsorting machines.I asked at Kmart if I can get some coins from their coinstar, but they said that they do not have access to it. They said that a coinstar technitian comes and takes the coins out every once in a while.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Highly unlikely that you will be able to obtain "bags of coins" taken from those machines. A company like K-Mart probably has a vendor manage the machines. No one from K-Mart or the vendor is going to step in the middle of that contract and start selling off bags of coins.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

K Mart does not own that machine.
    A quick research on the Coin Star company will tell you what
    you need to know.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The easiest way to get those bags would be to get a controlling interest of the company, then you can sort them all first if you want. Other than that it isn't going to happen

Whipps likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The only way would be to wait outside for the tech person.. and rob them! :greedy:
    (Please don't try this) :bored:

7. Robby Bee

Robby Bee Member

That's the dream of everyone on this site - to get access to coin counter bags, whether from Coinstar or elsewhere. They're controlled by the servicing operators, often the armored car companies (Garda, Loomis, Dunbar, Brinks), and they're not letting anyone near them!

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If the company sold bags, Thieves would use the machine to 'laundry' stolen collections. Run them through the machine and then buy the bag back. No evidence train so could be sold openly.

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Coin star is a private company who comes into a retail store and services the machine. Service means everything, repairs,empty the machine. The person who tends to the machine and swaps out the cash boxes is armed! They also take readings from. The machine to determine the amount the store owes for the service.
    And here's the kicker.....why would you want to buy bags of coins from coin star machines?
    First of all the machines are set to discharge, the following, Gold,Silver coins, World coins, tokens, and just about anything that doesn't fall into clean US coins from 1 cent to a quarter. Some may accept .50 cent pieces. But few and far between.
    Coins thrown into wishing wells,fountains,etc....need be cleaned before any bank or clearing house will accept. The person whom offers this service gets a cut of the gross.
    And by cleaning I mean a chemical bath, tumbled in a grit like a stone polishing machine.
    So buying coins from coin counting machines company's or a company that services fountains,and wishing wells....is useless!
    Do as I do as my job takes me I to retail food stores on most days....check the discharge shoot. My one cup holder in my car is half full of silver,world,tokens,well except the Chuck cheese tokens as one of my team members daughter always hits me up for those....lol

Amos 811 and Kentucky like this.
  10. baseball21

Coin Stars are supposed/do all take clad half dollars

11. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

I don't know about Coinstar machines, but I have seen collectors post about buying coin bags from banks with coin counters. I think it's a pretty unusual request so you probably have to have a good relationship with a bank or a particular teller/manager to do it, but it has been done.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

My bank's coin counting machine (yes, they still have one) also takes halves, small dollars and even (Y)Ikes. They are a fairly recent merger (What bank isn't?) and they don't have coin machines at every branch, but they have committed to keep them where they were at the merger.

13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry just don't buy it....as like coin star machines all coins go into a large box.
    Then again need be sorted by each denomination. So no way would a bank sell you a bag of mixed coins, how much would each bag hold ?
    The banks wouldn't pay a clerk to sort coins....banks wouldn't have coins if they had anything to do with it.
    The boxes that catch the coins in the machine are locked, and sent out with the banks armour carrier . And the bank is then credited to its account .
    Major banks in this day and age rather deal in paper and computer transactions than cash, especially coins.

baseball21 likes this.
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If you put mixed coins into the tray/hopper at the top of the coin machine, and the machine credits you by the value of each coin, it can certainly sort the coins and put them into separate trays. A bag could be placed at the end of each tray and the coins would be separated. Even 50 years ago a manual coin sorting machine, put all the same kind of coins into separate tubes for rolling. It's not rocket science technology.
    This is for a bank sorting machine. The coin star I think goes into one big box/bag and is resorted later.

15. V. Kurt Bellman

I’ve seen my branch manager take bags out of the machine. Bags. Stout heavy plastic bags.

16. baseball21

He's right overall. Too much liability for a bank selling those. Lots of stories on the internet about things like that just simply aren't true

17. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Coinstar brand machines do count your coins and provide you with a ticket at the end that itemizes how many coins of each denomination you ran. However once sorted, I am told the coins go into a large metal tank that the Coinstar tech has to wheel out it is so heavy. So there are no "bags to buy" from the Coinstar machine. Also, I can personally verify that Coinstar machines do not credit you for any large dollar coins (Ikes, etc.) you run, and they do not reject them to the reject tray. Rather, they go into the Dirt Cup located on the inside of the machine which presumably is also emptied by the tech. On the other hand, all of the other coin counting machines I have seen in my various banks do count and sort the coins by denomination into heavy plastic bags as VKB noted. Depending on the policy of the bank and how good you are as sweet talking the teller/branch manager, you might be allowed to purchase the bags.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

My branch manager knew I was a "coin guy" and gave me a mini-tour of the machine. When a denomination is ready to be emptied, she can tell which one by a warning on the display and it beeps.

It was just after I loaded the poor thing up with nickels.

19. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

Same here. When I asked what they did with the bags once full I was told they send them in for counting and rolling.

20. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

I used to buy bags off of the counter at my bank. The coins are sorted by denominations into separate bags. They removed the machine so that was the end.

21. halfabuck

halfabuck Member

Several years ago I processed coins for a large newspaper company. The coins came from the honor boxes on the street. I was not back into collecting again so I did not examine any of the coins. Now I am kicking myself for missing such a great opportunity. However I still have friends there and have made some inquiries with positive results. You have to tap all your resources these days.
    Have a great day!
    Ron

Draft saved Draft deleted