How big is your collection and what is in it?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GregH, Nov 29, 2015.

1. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Hi all

I'm curious - how many coins to we all have, and what are they?

My collection currently stands at 141:
    - 1 "republican" Roman (Julius Caesar)
    - 135 imperial/provincial Roman coins (the portrait series of emperors/empresses; I don't worry if it's an imperial or a provincial for this series)
    - 4 x Greek coins
    - 1 x English coin

(That isn't counting a jar of a few hundred "modern" coins that my grandpa collected when he was stationed in the middle east during World War II)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I downsized big time recently (and bought as well), and have gotten lazy updating my records so I'll have to get back to you on my coin stats :D

GregH likes this.
  4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I have a whole handful of various ancient, medieval and modern world uncatalogued coins of low value but as far as coins that I have photographed and catalogued and care enough about to post on my personal gallery after my recent bit of downsizing:
    13 Greek coins
    4 Judaean coins
    39 Roman coins:
    • 22 Republican
    • 14 Imperial
    • 2 provincial(one Republican provincial, one imperial provincial)
    • 1 Gallo-Roman empire
    1 imitative coin
    3 Byzantine coins
    1 early modern coin

61 Total(though with all the unattributed/uncatalogued ones probably closer to 300ish)

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I have a total of 26 ancient coins
    The 12 Caesars (11 denarii + 1 quinarius)
    1 RR denarius
    3 Antoniani (2 unidentified)
    2 fouree denarii
    1 Orichalcum sestertius
    3 copper asses
    3 denarii
    1 billon follis

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

many people will not post that here.

7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I've only been collecting ancients since the start of November...I think it was November 4 or 5 when I bought my first ancient coin. What that means is that my collection is very small and very humble.

I'm kind of ashamed to even admit this is my entire collection, but hey, you've got to start somewhere.

Greek:

Alexander III Tetradrachm Babylon Mint.jpg

Roman Republic:

Junius Silanus Denarii.jpg
    M Scaurus Denarii.jpg

ROMAN EMPIRE:

Trajan Mars Catalog Image.jpg IMPERATOR ANTININUS PIUS.jpg Constantine I Sol.jpg Constantius III Phoenix Coin.jpg

8. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

You have some really awesome pieces though. That's a very cool Alexander and Trajan. Quality over quantity.

Mikey Zee, swamp yankee and zumbly like this.
  9. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's called making conversation mate. You know, when people are friendly and they say things, and then other people say things back. You don't have to contribute if you don't feel comfortable with the subject.

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I could see if you only have like 100 coins in your collection ok, but if you have over 900+ you could be asking to get robbed.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I have too many and not enough :D

There are 220 ancient coins on my website (one of them is from Medieval times, so not truly ancient).

82 Greek (including two "Eastern")
    104 Roman (10 Republican, 7 Imperatorial, 48 Roman Egypt, 20 other Provincial, 19 Imperial)
    34 Byzantine

Not including uncleaned coins of various states of slug-ness, I probably have another ~100 not on the website.

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Start cataloging them now! Otherwise you'll have a big project ahead of you! I didn't start cataloging my tokens until I had almost 200 and it was a big job.

dougsmit and 4to2centBC like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

17,024.56g according to the database sum feature but the boxes, envelopes and tags weigh more than that. No, it will not fit in one safe deposit box but the opening a new branch bank at the right time solved that problem.

If you have just a few coins, work on both your cataloging and photo skills now. The time may come when you don't actually see a coin 'in hand' for a long time and a good set of photos will mean more to you. I find I don't do as good a job when photographing too many coins at once so I tend to reshoot five or ten a month as I identify which of the old photos are not to my liking or might benefit from some newly learned technique. Put this off until you have 200 or 2000 and you will wish you did not. Keep multiple back-ups. You do not want to start over.

14. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

Nice question, I have bought and sold many in the past, some I regret still, I am at the moment bust with reviewing all I got...

So this is a estimation:

120 Roman Syrian tets
    100 Armenian Greek
    20 Commagne
    20 Cappadocian
    150 Greek/ Roman bronze/provincial
    25 Iberian/Celtic
    30 Phoenician, obols, straters etc
    10 Parthian, tet, drachm, bronze

And more....but still bust with it..

15. Cyrrhus

oo and two cats and children that drive me sometimes crazy? does that count also?

16. Cyrrhus

This two are in the mail to me now..lost more coming
    Caracalla Damascus and another Otacilla Antioch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

You can get robbed for far fewer than 100 coins I'm afraid.

Anonymity, a good set of photos, a safe deposit box, and a day pass home for them from time to time.........really the only way to enjoy, share and protect a collection these days.

Knowing mine are behind a big vault door a mile from home does give me a level of comfort. It is either that or bury them in my back yard...........;);)

Mikey Zee, Volodya and swamp yankee like this.
  18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It's not broken down exactly, but I have 672 coins cataloged:
    61 Greek
    1 Judean
    67 Republican
    40 Imperatorial
    503 Imperial

All are kept in a safe!!!

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

My collection has reached "352" hand-picked coins ...

=> it's pretty amazing that my sweet-n-clever wife hasn't stopped this run-away train!!

:woot:

Yah, I have them in a spreadsheet listed several ways, so it is pretty hard to represent them properly, but here is today's sorting and listing numbers:

352 Total ancient-coins:

- 134 coins between 545 BC and 150BC => including roughly 50 archaic animal coins (my favs)

- 57 coins between 150 BC and Augustus (27 BC?) ... yah, he's my first true Roman ruler

- 107 coins between Augustus and Constantine-I (306 AD?)

- 22 coins between Constantine-I and Justinian-I (558 AD?)

- 32 coins after Justinian-I, which include my sweet Lorraine medieval examples, etc

........ pretty humble collection, but hopefully it continues to grow and I continue to love collecting these lil' sweeties!!

:rolleyes:

20. Cyrrhus

what is your address Bing and where is the safe? can you give me the combination? :))

Mikey Zee and Daniel Jones like this.
  21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I didn't realize until doing this exercise, but I seem to have crossed 1k at some point this year :

Greek - 224
    Roman Republic/Imperatorial - 32
    Roman Imperial - 708
    Roman Provincial - 88

I'm behind on cataloging (and photographing, sigh) and have probably missed a handful in my count. Also not included, a few assorted Byzantines, Eastern and Medieval coins that found their way into my collection but otherwise don't fit neatly into my main categories.

Draft saved Draft deleted