How Best to Handle This Speck?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JeffC, Apr 10, 2021.

1. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Hi all. I've got a 2009-S Proof Lincoln Cent with a speck above Liberty. See...

20210330_220734.jpg

While it's not too evident in the photo above, there's discoloration spreading from that speck. See the two photos below. (Disregard the two dots in front of Lincoln's chin, which is a speck on the capsule reflected on the coin's field.) See the discoloration starting outwards from the speck above Liberty?

20210330_220818.jpg 20210330_221023.jpg

My first impulse is to remove the coin from the capsule and use a Q-Tip to remove the speck. But I figured I ought to check here first. Should I go ahead and do that?

The four coins are displayed with their reverse sides facing up. Now and then, I'd take a look at them but I never looked at the obverse till yesterday.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Beardigger and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I think I'd try to blow it off (compressed air?) before touching the coin. Maybe an acetone bath would wash it away, or maybe even a distilled water bath?

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

The compressed air may work to get the speck off. But the damage to the surface of the coin may already be done.

5. JeffC

@Beefer518 @furryfrog02 Thank you both. I'll do that. Hopefully, the staining may "lighten a bit" (?) after soaking. Regardless (and thankfully), the obverse doesn't show in the U.S. Mint packaging that they come in.

Beardigger and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure, but it looks like whatever it is has already discolored the copper, and the speck is not removable. I believe I have run across a speck like this before and it was adhered to the coin.Wait for more experienced collectors opinions though.

JeffC and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. furryfrog02

@Beardigger may be right. It may be too late. I don't think it hurts to give some things a try...but that being said, you may not end up any better than where you started.

Beardigger and JeffC like this.
  8. JeffC

I hope not... I'll give it a try on Sunday. Keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

Beardigger and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. furryfrog02

Let us know how it turns out!

10. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I'm with the others Jeff. My guess is that the damage is done. Many coins like this get liberated and put into circulation.

11. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Count me in this camp, too.

12. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

My opinion is it was too late from the mint.
    Just one of those proofs that can't qualify for PR70 straight out of the gate.

No idea if you can remove it and correct the finish really. It may be embedded in the surface of the coin to begin with and not simply laying on the surface.

Possible I suppose to soak in acetone and hope whatever it is dissolves. It likely still won't improve the finish if it was embedded but should arrest it from going further. The discoloration ring around it will spread out further over time if it isn't or can't be removed.

The 2009 S is 95% copper so it's not a simple zincoln proof. I personally wouldn't release it into circulation of it doesn't work out. It's just not gonna be a perfect example anymore but still a nice coin.

13. JeffC

Hi all. Surprisingly, that speck was blown off (I used a syringe) pretty easily! (Wheewwwww!!!) It's soaking now. (The coin, not the speck.) The discoloration may not improve but at least it won't get worse as Burgess said. And luckily, in the mint (Coins & Chronicle) packaging, only the reverse shows!!! LOL. If I were a dog, my name would be Lucky!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  14. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Good luck with the soak. I was going to suggest using Xylene instead of Acetone just to avoid any issues with copper.

Beardigger likes this.
  15. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Nice to hear. Can you show a pic of what it looks like after the speck got removed post-soak?

Beardigger likes this.
  16. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Great news! I'm glad the speck came off. Looking forward to seeing it after the soak!

John Burgess likes this.
  17. Flackthat

Flackthat Member

I have always been afraid to use Acetone on copper, curious to see the pictures.

18. JeffC

Spot has faded but still visible. But definitely an improvement. I'm happy with it. In real life, not as visible as the second photo shows. I'm very glad!

20210412_205741.jpg

20210412_205636.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Kevin Mader likes this.
  19. JeffC

Draft saved Draft deleted