How badly did I overpay for this 1907 Barber quarter?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mckinneym, May 21, 2024.

1. mckinneym

mckinneym Supporter! Supporter

It was overgraded by the seller as AU and I probably paid a little much for it ($125), but I got absolutely devastated after posting the photos from the listing on Reddit. (Harshly cleaned, maybe a VF at best, the dealer is a crook, etc...) I got it in the mail today and, to be honest, I think it's a pretty nice looking coin. I'd love to get y'all's opinion, though: how badly did I get hosed? (And I've gotten some pretty good deals on some coins, so I'm OK with letting the dealers get a win now and then.)

upload_2024-5-21_20-20-18.png upload_2024-5-21_20-20-49.png

alurid and Cheech9712 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

well I paid 104 for mine 3 years ago... AU cleaned pcgs said... yours I would probably call xf/au but certainly not as low as VF... as for cleaned ... well I'm the wrong one to ask about that seems 1/2 the coins i get graded come back with that particular "detail"
    4399596_Full_Rev.jpg

Randy Abercrombie and mckinneym like this.
  4. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Looks cleaned to Meow too.

mckinneym likes this.
  5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes cleaned, as far as price goes, I can't help with that at all. Better luck next time! ;)

mckinneym likes this.
  6. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

Looks like an XF45. I would have paid about $95. You didn't do that bad, coins to me always look better in hand. If you like it, that's all that counts. Enjoy your new gem. Regards, Sting.

longnine009 and Cheech9712 like this.
  7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think AU is a tad generous, EF-45 fits better for me.

Can you post a couple of pics with alternate lighting? I don't see signs of harsh cleaning, but I don't see anything that rules it out. The coin has been dipped (it shouldn't be that white!), but I don't see anything that PCGS would refuse.

Muzyck and derkerlegand like this.
  8. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

PCGS calls this one an xf 40, pretty close? I think that your obverse is much better (except someone bopped her nose).
    barber.jpg

9. mckinneym

Here's are a couple more of it resting in its new home with different lighting.
    upload_2024-5-21_21-55-42.png upload_2024-5-21_21-56-48.png

Attached Files:

10. mckinneym

I think my obverse is better and your reverse is better - so, yeah, pretty close. It's interesting that the details on the shield seem to be much more about the strike than wear. the AU above has almost no detail on the shield, but the wings are super crisp.

I'm trying to figure out about the area from behind her nose up into her hair - it almost looks like a die clash, but I can't make it line up with the reverse. Who knows - possibly just damage.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yes to cleaned. Maybe paid a bit over but not a lot.

mckinneym and Cheech9712 like this.
  12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  13. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I think you overpaid as well but by not much. Let me ask you something. Are you happy with the coin? If so, Like the Italians say in NYC, " Don't worry about it!" . LOL. Enjoy it as long as it is important to you. Good Luck in future ventures.

mckinneym likes this.
  14. psuman08

psuman08 Active Member

Sorry to say that I see it as XF-details cleaned and you overpaid by more than a little. Folks here are being generous.

It's a mistake that we have all made.

15. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it. I would have paid that amount.

And yes, it is.

mckinneym likes this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think $95.00 would be my top price for that coin. It’s your collection. We all live and learn and we do so by making mistakes. If you enjoy the coin that’s great and that’s all that matters.

mckinneym likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted