How bad will rim damage affect grading?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Deplorabledan, Jul 23, 2017.

1. CircCam

CircCam Victory

ilmcoins and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

Wow that's actually really funny. I've never even heard of that until now

4. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

Well for example, the 1881 is a 25$ coin on eBay as is. IMO it's an ms65 coin without the rim damage. So subtract a grade and make it ms64. 1881-o in ms64 books at 175. Probly could get 140 on eBay. So if you take the 22 I paid, plus 25 for grading and shipping (ngc economy) then my cost is 47 dollars, in which I could net about 100 on eBay, or keep for my personal collection. I don't like to keep ungraded Morgans because it's like the situation with shroedingers cat.(the cat is neither dead nor alive until the box isopened)

5. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

Raw coins could grade better, or worse than expected. Or come back details. I, for one, like to take mystery out ofthe equation and know what I have and what it's worth. For even common dates, grading even ms63, would allow me to break even with the coin, if they grade 64 or 65 I makemoney. But raw, they will bring little if any more than what I paid

6. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

That was my post that hasn't been approved in 2 chunks

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Because of all the spam attacks, sometimes the mods do have to approve some posts when it's a new member making them.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Sorry. I just figured if the member was already able to post he was good to go. I spoke to soon.

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I think that there is an algorithm that flags new posters' posts if they have any mention of "selling." That seems to be the case here.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There's all kinds of variables involved Larry, most of them having to do with software settings, some having to do with the members themselves. Point is while it happens with this post it may not happen with that one. Or it will happen with this person and not that one over there. Like I said - variables.

edit - as for approval, there's not a mod around 24/7. So sometimes, if the timing works just so - a post might have to wait a bit before being approved. Other times they may be approved almost immediately.

11. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

and I was just going to say "Welcome to CT".

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

I'll still use the forum, I was just frustrated at the time.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I reiterate-- none of them grade. Despite your rude comment, I know how to grade.

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hardly a member here cannot share that feeling at one time or another.

15. TypeCoin971793

Since you are the expert on rim damage, how did PCGS grade this Morgan with its "severe" rim damage?

IMG_0405.JPG IMG_0406.JPG IMG_0407.JPG IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0409.JPG IMG_0410.JPG

16. Morgandude11

britannia40 likes this.
  17. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

18. Morgandude11

I appreciate your pleasant and positive response disagreeing with me, as opposed to someone who won't check his attitude at the door. Sure, they were shoveled into wheelbarrows, and jammed into mint bags. Major contact was often made, and this would result in bag marks and some scratches.

I think we can all agree that the 1897 has major rim damage. The other two are judgement calls. My view on a coin detailed for damage is: How prominent and disfiguring is the damage? In the case of the other two, I feel that the rim knocks are significant enough to possibly be a details coins. A scratch across the face of the obverse that is prominent would make it a details coin. If the eagle's feathers are bisected by major scratches, that is a details coin to me. Significant rim damage falls into the same category.

I would not own any of the three due to significant damage. Perhaps, a TPG might let them slide, taking off 1-2 grades. As for me, I feel they are significant distractions that equal "no grade."

19. Morgandude11

If so, it would be misgraded.

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

if it is mine: no effect or very little

if yours: big effect, a whole lot

Kentucky and SuperDave like this.
  21. TypeCoin971793

Fine. Be that way.

I guess so. It graded MS-65.

I will buy all of your worthless "damaged" Morgans and sell them for a significant profit at their actual grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted