How bad will rim damage affect grading?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Deplorabledan, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

Hello everyone, my names Dan and Ive recently picked up interest into collecting again, it's been some years since my grandfather gave me some coins as a kid, and I've always loved Morgans so I'm trying to put together a nice year/mintmark set.

I have 3 uncirculated common dates that I'm thinking of sending into ngc for grading or possibly conservation.

The first is an 1881-o. I think this coin would be an ms65 but has several small rim dings, and I'm curious if anyone might be able to chime in with experience about grading coins like this. Will the coin drop 2 points 3 points? Will it come back ms details? Should I throw it on eBay and cut my losses?

IMG_1489.JPG IMG_1490.JPG IMG_1491.JPG

Next is an 1884-o I think could easily grade ms64. It has some peripheral toning and some extremely fine lines perfectly parallel on the fields and devices. Too fine to be abrasive lines, looks like planchet striations. Also has very minor rim damage, barely visible with the naked eye. IMG_1493.JPG IMG_1495.JPG IMG_1496.JPG

And last is a 1897-p that I also think is an ms64. It has some rather unnatractive peripheral toning and maybe a candidate for ncs?

IMG_1497.JPG IMG_1498.JPG

I'd appreciate it if any fellow collector with more experience than myself would be so kind and share their opinion on whether not I should send them in. I'm only considering these 3 coins because I think it could be worth it for them to be slabbed. If not, I will keep them for my collection. They were obtained in a lot for about $22 each, so either way I think I did ok. Many thanks in advance!

Edit: sorry I didn't realize I posted in world coins, not sure how to fix. Maybe a mod could move it?

Attached Files:

moneycostingmemoney and McBlzr like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

For those coins, the edge damage does nothing to the grade as far as a TPG is concerned.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The rim dings are not severe enough to have much of an impact on the grade of those coins - IMO. The '84 though, that one looks to have been harshly cleaned to me. I suspect a TPG would say the same thing.

I wouldn't recommend submitting any of them as none of them are of high enough grade to warrant it.

5. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

Really? What makes you say that? I think the 84 is the best coin out of them all. The lighting may have washed out the color, but it has great luster, frosty devices, and attractive peripheral toning. Almost no hairlines at all, as I said it does have almost invisible perfectly parallel lines but they're too symmetrical to be from cleaning, I was thinking die striations

6. TypeCoin971793

What you are looking at are planchet striations that are commonly seen on New Orleans Morgans.

Deplorabledan likes this.
  7. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

None of those coins would grade, as a result of significant rim damage. They are all details coins.

8. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

A lot of different opinions here, I guess we'll see when they come back from ngc. I put them out for pickup tonight and I'll post results in about a month. I'm too curious to speculate, and I didn't spend much on them. Either way it will be a good learning experience, at the least

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm on my phone and want to see them on a good monitor before rendering grade and originality opinions - the 1897 worries me a bit - but with a grand total of $22 as the sunk investment for each, yer dang right I'm submitting them. One of the three coming back with a decent grade covers the cost of all three. :)

Don't forget, Morgandude, the first thing every Morgan did upon mintage was fall a couple feet into a bin of similar coins. Edge nicks are excpected on Mint State coins sometimes, and I lean towards "acceptable" for what I see here.

Deplorabledan, there's a fine line between what's acceptable for Mint handling damage and a Details coin. Chances are, before the rim will cost more than half a grade the TPG will "Details" the coin.

fish4uinmd and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Why do folks want to have coins like this graded? I see it as a waste of good money.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  11. TypeCoin971793

Geeeeeez! Did you even look at the pictures? Only the first one has "significant" rim damage, and I have seen much worse in straight TPG holders.

I thought you knew how to grade Morgans.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Deplorabledan likes this.
  12. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

Well for example, the 1881 is a 25$ coin on eBay as is. IMO it's an ms65 coin without the rim damage. So subtract a grade and make it ms64. 1881-o in ms64 books at 175. Probly could get 140 on eBay. So if you take the 22 I paid, plus 25 for grading and shipping (ngc economy) then my cost is 47 dollars, in which I could net about 100 on eBay, or keep for my personal collection. I don't like to keep ungraded Morgans because it's like the situation with shroedingers cat.(the cat is neither dead nor alive until the box is opened) . Raw coins could grade better, or worse than expected. Or come back details. I, for one, like to take mystery out of the equation and know what I have and what it's worth. For even common dates, grading even ms63, would allow me to break even with the coin, if they grade 64 or 65 I make money. But raw, they will bring little if any more than what I paid

13. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

Can a mod approve my pending post? I put a a lot of thought into it and I don't really like my post being "invisible to normal visitors until it's approved by a moderator" especially when I'm not being rude or using foul language.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If you are not breaking the rules here, just post it. I take it you did not get the answers you wanted.

15. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

I guess if your post is too long, it has to be moderated before it goes up. I tried to repost what I had said but i guess it has to be "approved" first. It was just my opinion on why I was having these coins graded

16. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Based on the pictures, I don't see the 81-O grading 65. That's a big jump in price from 64 and the coin needs to be all there for a 65. The nick on the rim would prevent that grade, but the surfaces also look a bit wonky. I just got done (like minutes ago) shooting 31 1881-O Morgans, one of which was a 65, and I don't see the OP coin as being close.

The 84-O has a funny looking rim at 6:00 on the obverse, but it should grade. The diagonal lines across the face are roller marks in the planchet, not lines from cleaning. 63-64 on this one.

The 97 looks AU58 to me from the obverse picture. I see slight discoloring of the luster behind Liberty's nose and near the tip of the bust, which is the first place that shows up on AU58 coins.

I hope your submission goes well and will be worth the expense. If nothing else, it's a learning experience.

baseball21 likes this.
  17. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

I didn't know we were in nazi Germany here. Mods you can delete my account, I'll be on a different coin forum. I don't think a coin collecting forum needs censorship like this, it's in distaste.

18. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

Thanks for everyone who chimed in

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Don't be foolish. It's you, not the site or censorship. It's something you are doing wrong. The mods don't have to approve your post. You just post it.

20. TypeCoin971793

Try posting it in chunks

21. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The NGC forum had frequent issues with spammers and scammers creating a bogus account and posting their crap, usually totally unrelated to coins. The account was only used the one time, then immediately abandoned or shut down. This is why it is prudent for moderators to have to approve certain posts, perhaps based on length, from people on the day they sign up. It pretty much eliminates the problem that was seen at the NGC board. I'm guessing that if you make the same post tomorrow that you are trying to post today, you'll have no problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted