How Bad Is the Rim Issue on this 1852C 5 Dollar Coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by 7Jags, Aug 20, 2022.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think the coin will straight grade a point lower than it would without the rim issue.

MIGuy likes this.
  4. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, maybe I should submit through a dealer. For some reason I get slammed when I submit myself.....Nice luster and pleasant coin overall though.

MIGuy likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It all depends upon what is on the third side of the coin, the edge. If the reeding is flat or messed up, it's an indicator that the coin has been mounted. That is a problem because that will get you a "details" grade.

Since this is Charlotte Mint coin and it's really high grade otherwise, which makes it scarce. It's probably worthwhile to have graded. Just don't be surprised if the edge is how I described, and you get something other than a straight grade.

This problem can be very subtle. Many years ago when I was in college, I had a three dollar gold piece that be mounted. The only "tell tail" was a tiny flat spot at the top of the obverse in the reeding. This type of mounting was used to attach coins to a charm bracelet.

I am not saying that's your problem. I am only saying thats it's possible.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    MIGuy likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think it’s worth the effort and costs to grade. I’d submit through my LCS.

7. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, think I will and will try to get an edge picture as soon as I can. I actually was out to bid on an 1854 S dollar and bought this as well....
    I will post a picture of the dollar in next posting as well.

8. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely a good point JM and I (probably most of us) need to really look carefully at the third side as you've said.

9. johnmilton

One rule of thumb at this point in time to consider. When you see a really expensive coin offered raw, you need to think, "Why is this coin raw?" This was true 15 years ago and, in some ways, it's more important now. You would get the most out of really important coin until it's been certified by one of the reliable grading services.

10. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Indeed
    Bought in English auction. actually I have gotten rather nice coins there before
    I buy GB coins frequently at many of these auction houses and know them rather well individually. The houses I mean.

11. johnmilton

Since you bought it in an English auction, there is more reason to understand why a coin like this would be raw. Still, my advice is be careful.

12. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, a bit nervous how this one works out & will keep all posted - think I will submit at the Baltimore show this fall....

Draft saved Draft deleted