How bad does a nick hurt value of 1894 Morgan?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jasonmschmidt, Aug 2, 2013.

1. jasonmschmidt

jasonmschmidt New Member

I have a 1894 Morgan Silver dollar--no mint mark. It has has a slight nick on the edge. How bad does this hurt the value? I took it to a coin dealer who said he would only give me melt value for it, which seemed off. I truly appreciate your input. 20130802_170200.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

1894 No Mint morgans are worth $850 in Grade: Good. If that coin is legitimate, then your "dealer" should have his head examined.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

That is quite a bit more than a "slight nick" and will greatly effect the value. If genuine, it is worth well top of melt, but don't expect near what was stated above.

5. Asylum

Asylum Member

You're looking at 30-45 dollars max. The nick does not really make a difference in profit you'll make considering the rest of the coins condition.

6. jasonmschmidt

jasonmschmidt New Member

I appreciate all your feedback. It seems that there are varying opinions on what to expect. If I do sell it, I want it to be a win-win for both me and the buyer. However, I do not want to be ripped off.

7. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Can you try to post a few betters pics, especially of the reverse, and of the date. Shoot it straight on instead of at an angle.

8. jasonmschmidt

jasonmschmidt New Member

9. jasonmschmidt

jasonmschmidt New Member

10. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

It hurts of course, but I think it is also one of those "it's worth what someone will pay for it" times. Throw it on the bay and see what happens. I would be surprised if it doesn't go $500/600 on there.

rzage likes this.
  11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

You'll get a details grade , I'd expect at least 50% or more of a high VF grade . Anyone who tells you you'll only get $45 for it is uninformed . It's still a rare coin that many people need to fill that hole . I'd say $500 up to $750 . Depending on the going price now . I've seen a Bust half that was tooled and had the cheeks whizzed bring over $1000 at auction so though it's not worth what an undamaged piece would bring it's still valuable .

easj3699 likes this.
  12. Asylum

Asylum Member

13. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

What is wrong with the rest of the coin , it looks ok to me .

easj3699 likes this.
  14. easj3699

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1894-MORGAN...92?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item5d41f88aa8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1894-MORGAN...12?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item565917add8

A morgan from San Fran or New Orleans I agree, not a Philly. Those two links are from your link. Like rzage said, it is a nice details hole filler. For half the cost of a problem free example in VG

non_cents likes this.
  15. Asylum

Asylum Member

rzage and easj3699 like this.
  16. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I could see a $500+ coin. It wouldn't receive a grade if slabbed, but it is still nice besides the damage.

easj3699 likes this.
  17. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

18. easj3699

19. Asylum

Asylum Member

Yeah I know someone got a huge deal yesterday.

tgaw and easj3699 like this.
  20. jasonmschmidt

jasonmschmidt New Member

Thanks guys! That local coin guy who offered me melt value obviously seems like a fraud.

21. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I wouldn't say he's a fraud, per se. He might just not have enough experience to know that the 1894 is one of the keys in the series. If the coin is legitimate, even in the extreme damaged state that it is, you're looking at a $625-$645 hole filler on eBay.

Draft saved Draft deleted