How Aurelian restored the Roman Empire

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jims Coins, May 2, 2021.

1. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting link to Aurelian.
    Bronze Coin (AE Antoninianus) minted during the reign of AURELIAN between 270 - 275 A.D. Obv. IMP.C.AVRELIANVS.AVG.: Rad., dr. & cuir. bust r. Rev. CONCORDIA.MILITVM.: AURELIAN and Concord stg. facing each other, clasping r. hands. RCS #3258. DVM #7 pg.257

Show your interesting Aurelian coins or anything of interest. EZE-380 OBV.jpg EZE-380 REV.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Excellent coin of one of the most underrated Roman Emperors.
    Here's to old, "Hand on hilt", as the soldiers used to respectfully call him.
    Screenshot_20200919-192257_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    Coins minted by Zenobia of Aurelian and her son:
    Screenshot_20200919-192148_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

gogili1977, galba68, singig and 6 others like this.
  4. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful coin and an interesting type.

This one isn't particularly interesting, other than it travelled from Milan to Somerset in as little as a few months to be one of the final types in the hoard:

Aurelian Antoninianus, 272-274
    upload_2021-5-3_0-23-40.png
    Mediolanum. Bronze, 23.5mm. IMP AVRELIANVS AVG. FELIC SAECVLI, Felicitas standing left by altar, holding patera and cornucopia. Mintmark S (RIC V1 122). Ex South Petherton Hoard: 7,563 coins from 161-274, mostly debased Antoninianii, buried after the fall of the breakaway Gallic Empire. Discovered 2013.

Attached Files:

gogili1977, galba68, JulesUK and 7 others like this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I have two coins of Aurelian as "restitutor orbis," or the "restorer of the world."

Serdica;
    Aurelian AE Ant RIC Serdica 388A.JPG

Cyzicus:
    Aurelian BI Ant Cyzicus mmA.JPG

I think the first one is a highly superior example, although the second has far more silvering intact. The first one has a really nice halo-effect from the remaining silvering.

gogili1977, galba68, Andres2 and 6 others like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This one is my most photogenic Aurelian.

[​IMG]
    Aurelian AD 270-275.
    Roman silvered billon Antoninianus, 3.60 gm; 21.7 mm, 6 h.
    Rome mint, officina 9, issue 11, early – September AD 275.
    Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: ORIE-N-S AVG, Sol walking r., holding olive branch in r. hand and bow in l. hand, l. foot resting on a captive in oriental dress kneeling on the ground to r., head turned l., r. hand raised; * in left field, XXIR in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 64; MER/RIC temp 1834; RCV 11569; Hunter 23; Cohen 159; La Venera 1321-32.

gogili1977, singig, Andres2 and 7 others like this.
  7. Jims Coins

Bronze Coin (AE Antoninianus) minted at Antioch during the reign of VABALATHUS between 271 - 272 A.D. Obv. VABALATHVS.V.C.R.IM.D.R.: laur., dr. and cuir. bust, r., (these were struck during the uneasy peace between Rome and Palmyra immediately following the accession of AURELIAN. The letters V.C.R.IM.D.R. seem to = VIR CLARISSIMUS REX IMPERATOR DUX ROMANORUM.) Rev. IMP.C.AVRELIANVS.AVG.: rad. and cuir. bust of AURELIAN r. RCS #3292. RICV #381 pg.308. DVM #1.

HB-233 OBV.jpg HB-233 REV.jpg

gogili1977, singig, Andres2 and 6 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

My Aurelianus...

[​IMG]
    RI Aurelian 270-275 CE AE Ant receiving Globe from Jupiter

gogili1977, galba68, singig and 7 others like this.
  9. Jims Coins

Bronze Coin (AE Antoninianus) minted at Siscia during the reign of AURELIAN between 270 - 275 A.D. Obv. IMP.C.AVRELIANVS.AVG.: Rad., dr. & cuir. bust r. Rev. CONCORDIA.MILITVM.: AURELIAN and Concord stg. facing each other, clasping r. hands. RCS #3258. RICV #244.

DVM #7.

EZB-256 OBV.jpg
    EZB-256 REV.jpg

gogili1977, galba68, singig and 7 others like this.
  10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

All I have is these two:

Vabalathus with Aurelian, billon Antoninianus, 270-272 AD, Antioch Mint. Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Vabalathus right, VABALATHVS V C R IM D R [Vir Clarissimus, Rex, Imperator, Dux Romanorum ] / Rev. Radiate and cuirassed bust of Aurelian right, Γ [gamma] (Antioch, Officina 3) below, IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG. RIC V-1 Aurelian 381, Sear RCV III 11718, Cohen 1. 21 mm., 3.43 g.

Aurelian with Vabalathus jpg version.jpg

Aurelian, silvered AE Antoninianus, 274-75 AD, Cyzicus Mint. Obv. Radiate cuirassed bust right, IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG/ Rev. Female personification (Victory?) stdg. right presents wreath to Aurelian standing left, RESTITVTOR ORBIS. In exergue: A C (Officina 1). RIC V-1 368, Cohen 210, Sear RCV III 11592. 24.15 mm., 3.68 g.

Aurelian antoninianus jpg version.jpg

7Calbrey, gogili1977, galba68 and 9 others like this.
  11. DonnaML

I corrected my description of the Vabalathus/Aurelian coin to indicate that Vabalathus is laureate, not radiate. Which again raises the longstanding question of which side is the obverse, given that the denomination is typically signified by a radiate obverse, and only Aurelian is radiate. On the other hand, Aurelian has the officina mark on his side, which typically signifies a reverse.

Ryro, Jims Coins and Roman Collector like this.
  12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

13. DonnaML

Another question, about my Cyzicus antoninianus posted above with a RESTITVTOR ORBIS reverse, showing a female personification variously described as Victory (in RIC) and an unidentified "female figure" (in Sear) presenting a wreath to Aurelian. If it's Victory, does anyone see the necessary wings on mine? Perhaps, faintly? Are there examples that clearly have no wings, and does that explain Sear's non-identification?

galba68, ambr0zie and Roman Collector like this.
  14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I see wings on the Victoria on your coin's reverse.

DonnaML likes this.
  15. DonnaML

Thanks. Perhaps there are some specimens with no trace of wings, or it wouldn't have made sense for Sear not to follow RIC and identify the figure as Victory.

7Calbrey likes this.
  16. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Aurelian Bil Aurelianus Serdica 274-275 AD. Obv, Bust right radiate cuirassed right. Rv. Female presenting wreath to emperor. RIC 310 Estiot 1049 4.24 grms 21 mm Photo by W. Hansen aurelian3.jpg This coin features the INVICTVS obverse legend. This is I believe the first time this has been used on the obverse of a Roman coin. It is unusual though perhaps a sign of the times that after such a rough period of time that the empire which may have been near the brink of disintegration managed to pull itself together. It is interesting that years ago in a book given to me featuring stories from "Ripley's believe it or Not" Aurelian was credited with slaying over a hundred men in single combat. If that is true this image is probably fairly close to the mark. The image is of an iron hard warrior with the cold expressionless eyes of a killer.

17. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

As for so many emperors, the left facing busts are interesting but scarcer

upload_2021-5-3_9-22-54.png

AURELIANUS, 270-275. Mint Serdica. Antoninianus, 2nd Em. Late Autumn 271.

IMP AVRELIANVS AVG. Heroic naked bust with staff, drawn spear, shield with Gorgo representation, sword belt in back view left.

Rv / IOVI CON-SER / P. Emperor in armor with long scepter standing on the right and receiving a globe from Jupiter standing with scepter in face.

C -. RIC - (see 260). MIR 243g1.RIC online 2573. 3.62 g. Very rare.
    Ex Gysen collection

18. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

The bust with shield and spear is fantastic. I have a couple of left-facing busts of Aurelian, but nothing really rare:
    IMP C DOM AVRELIANVS AVG // FELICIT TEMP

Screenshot 2021-05-03 at 11.43.28.png

IMP AVRELIANVS AVG // SOLI INVICTO - KA

Screenshot 2021-05-03 at 11.47.22.png

gogili1977, galba68, singig and 8 others like this.
  19. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

20. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

What a great coin!

21. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

I think it is especially the earlier, less stylized portraits that give a good impression of Aurealian's appearance as an energetic, determined and battle-hardened military-man. This is one of my favourite portraits of Aurelian:
    IMP AVRELIANVS AVG // IOVI CONSERVATORI - *P

Screenshot 2021-05-03 at 12.17.55.png

Draft saved Draft deleted