How are they getting away with this fake on Amazon?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Peter Economakis, Jul 15, 2020.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

It's not about "this" ad...it's about the "next" ad.

I suspect most people buy these things for resale. They probably mix them with common coins of the same era and label it an "Estate Sale". A person who weighs, measures, and tests with a magnet could be fooled. Silver sounds different, but most people wouldn't drop an 1893-S to find out.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

I thought it had to be marked COPY. If we are going to have rules, they need to be adhered to (except speed limits and testing tags off of mattresses). Is there a numismatic organization that should speak up on this issue? It seems like it is a form of counterfeiting to me.

Malleus Maleficarum and yakpoo like this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree its legal for the seller to sell it in China, but the moment they try to ship to USA they are breaking the law IMHO. CA can sell marijuana, but if the seller attempts to ship to MN s/he is committing a felony.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Which doesn't matter. You can't go to China and arrest someone nor can you charge them and have any meaningful outcome

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It does, IF it is made in THIS country after 1973. Or if it is made in this country after 1973 and sold in this country. If it is made or sold in some other country, our laws do not apply.

No, because there is no law in China that says they can't ship unmarked copies to the US. The law HERE says the buyer HERE can't bring them into the country. The seller has broken no law, the BUYER has. The law says you can't import them. The guy in China isn't importing, he's exporting.

7. Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum Well-Known Member

If you read the complete ad you can tell it's not a real coin. But it is misleading. For instance. RARE Antique USA, United States 1879 CC. It's not a rare antique. It's a fake coin. It's a modern recreation.

Then it's called a RESTRIKE. It's not a restrike. It was made in some far away factory in China.

This thing should be called a copy or a novelty coin.

For what it's worth. I really don't like counterfeiters and the people who re-sell this garbage. I found a fake coin seller on Etsy, US based. So I turned the information to the feds.

Can't do anything about the Chinese sellers, but the blatant US fake coin sellers. It's time to make a stand and burn them if we can.

Draft saved Draft deleted