How and why would someone do this to a coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jeffjay, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Found this mangled 1964 Washington quarter in a bunch of miscellaneous coins foreign and domestic I purchased. Wonder if somebody did this just for the fun of it or was there some kind of purpose. IMG_20211204_225636182.jpg IMG_20211204_225645177.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

:banghead: A 1964D Quarter too!! Why not a stinking Penny?o_O

4. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

that was put into a shredder... from the looks of it the quarter won :D

CygnusCC, JeffC, john65999 and 2 others like this.
  5. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Probably someone who was bored and wanted to see if they could cut through a coin.

john65999 and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Kashmir Pulaski

Kashmir Pulaski Well-Known Member

I used to cut coins when I was a much younger person selling “Cutco” cutlery. I’t looked cool and was a great sales-pitch tool. I’m not all so proud of that action now.

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Maybe it was used as a book mark ? It was some kind of tool. It held something in place from the vertical lines by the eye and 9

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    john65999 likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'm not sure we'll ever know what kind of machinery did that, but as far as badly damaged coins go, that one is kinda neat.

9. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

Agree, the cuts are too regular (perfectly parallel) to have been made by hand. But if it was a shredder, it was the Shredder of Death. (Not to be confused with the Grim Reaper.)

10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I use these to add weight to my trains Nscale weights.jpg

11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

As a matter of fact , I put 2 dimes in the tender of this one.
    Why because it was so light the tender wouldn't stay on the track. N tender western & atlantic.jpg

Circus, AidenAlexander, Mr.Q and 2 others like this.
  12. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hey @dwhiz ! Have you ever put a coin on your tracks? :jawdrop:
    It would probably cause a crash,huh?:(

13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yeah…. That little demo cost me $500.00. I bought the scissors!

Kashmir Pulaski and john65999 like this.
  14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The OP coin was cut with shears made for heat and air work. The tools have three blades that make cuts exactly like this. Some of the best are made by a company called Malcoproducts.com I use them all the time for circle cuts in sheet medal.

15. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I used to work in a junkyard. A safe came in once with some coins in it. I didn't have a way into the safe except for the 500 ton shear machine in the yard that we use to shear large pieces of iron with. So I set the safe under the shear head and popped it open. Inside was a bunch of coins. There was a 68 mint set and the Kennedy half (of course) got under the shear and was literally bent in half all mangled. I still have it but I took and beat it back flat with a hammer to put it in a 2x2 lol. So that's how things like this happen to coins! Haha

CygnusCC, dwhiz and john65999 like this.
  16. Vertigo

You could flatten it in a vise and put it in a 2x2 lol instead of the hammer

john65999 likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

Ah, but why? It’s much more interesting in its present state. It will remain a damaged coin, regardless, so might as well leave it as a coin with interesting damage rather than an interestingly damaged and then re-flattened coin.

@dwhiz - if you cut up that dime for your railroad, hopefully it’s a clad.

At least the quarter in the OP retains most of its bullion value, meaning it’s really not worth a whole lot less than an undamaged 1964-D circ quarter would be.

JeffC likes this.
  18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Rob, the dime is a 1985.
    [​IMG]

19. lordmarcovan

Ah, there is so much I overlook when squinting at my phone screen. :watching::rolleyes:

dwhiz likes this.
  20. Vertigo

Here it is. There was also this walker. For being beat with a hammer it don't look too bad lol
    20211205_105136.jpg 20211205_105146.jpg 20211205_105218.jpg 20211205_105253.jpg 20211205_105302.jpg 20211205_105313.jpg

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Why would someone do this to a coin ?

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men" - or women, or kids ?

"The Shadow knows !" - but sadly nobody else.

Circus, jamor1960, Kurisu and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted