Featured How a dirty ugly duckling became a clean ugly duckling

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, May 2, 2019.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

So I had this dirty ugly duckling Nerva as a placeholder for a better Nerva. However, seeing this dirty coin between two smug smiling Trajans, I decided to practise some cleaning on it.
    First, the poor ugly duckling before cleaning:
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-LbYhNm3SVHoPrlN.jpg
    It turned out incredible fine (in my opinion at least):
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-Sy02gRg02Aw.jpg
    Nerva AR denarius, 96-98 AD, 3.34 gm, struck in Rome January 98 AD, 3.34gm, 17.8mm.Obv: IMP NERVA CAES AVG GERM P M TR P II; laureate head right.Rev: IMP II COS IIII P P; clasped hands holding legionary eagle resting on prow.RIC II p226, 49; Cohen 98.EF
    Same coin on Vcoins:
    https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ap...ed_hands_standard_prow__ef/47353/Default.aspx

I must admit: I never expected such detail, especially on the reverse. Starting the clearing process thinking "I couldn’t hurt that much on this coin", seeing the amount of detail gradually appearing under a thick layer of stone-hard dirt, my enthusiasm increased (even my wife was somewhat interested).

So the cleaning process started as most novices start: a wooden toothpick. That, of course, didn't do anything. Next step was using a small iron screwdriver to remove the upper layers of the dirt, revealing some of the details. Subsequently, I decided to cook the coin in a solution of baking soda and aluminium foil, which didn't really do anything. After that, I put the coin in a boiling solution of citric acid which had a nice effect on the encrustation, as it became a bit porous allowing me to remove it with said screwdriver.

Interestingly, while the obverse side, which was less encrusted and largely unpatinated, became very shiny, after ca. 5-6 cycles in the same solution, it turned nicely dark. As if a new patina formed. This effect is best visible on the back of Nerva's neck; I stopped before the whole coin turned black.

As for the title: the very characteristic portrait of Nerva with his hook-nose is still nicely visible. It's not a pretty looking fellow, but after this cleaning adventure, I'd like him even more :)

Please post your cleaning adventures, preferably with how you did it!

R*L, Plumbata, Peter T Davis and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Hilarious.
    Agree.
    All in all, this may be the most valuable feature of the coin.

4. Roerbakmix

Oops, copied it a bit too enthousiastic.

dougsmit likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice job cleaning. Pretty good results on that silver.

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Screwdriver? My sphincter puckered! Never use something harder than the metal the coin is made of. That's why they have brass brushes.

R*L, Paul M., Andres2 and 5 others like this.
  7. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

@Roerbakmix
    That is an amazing result.. I would never have guessed that the reverse would come up like that. Great job!!

Other than scrubbing a few LRBs I have been too afraid to try anything more drastic. I love reading these threads and maybe some day I will try. Maybe.

Stevearino likes this.
  8. Roerbakmix

Thanks @ancient coin hunter and @Clavdivs! I couldn't do much harm to it: given the state the coin was it was just a placeholder for a better Nerva to come.

@TheFinn, I think I should nuance it a bit. I've used the manual by Saúl Roll (http://www.romanorum.com/docs/A Method for cleaning ancient coins. Romanorum.com.pdf) which is very detailed. He uses diamond encrusted needles, which are arguably harder than any coin I've encountered so far, yet with very nice results.

Hope your sphincter is oke!

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    DEA likes this.
  9. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Yikes! Oh wow! Yes, we can see the results quite clearly of the screwdriver! Try a gentler approach in the future!

Paul M. likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Woooahhh... I don't clean, and if you do, always use a tool that is SOFTER than the metal you are acting on...

That being said; in fact, I have had ONE coin of mine cleaned...

Before
    [​IMG]

IN-PROCESS
    upload_2019-5-2_20-59-51.png

After
    [​IMG]

Postumus, 259-268 AD
    antoninianus, 20 mm, 3.2 gm, Cologne
    Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS PF AVG Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: PROVIDENTIA AVG, Providentia standing left holding globe and transverse scepter

THIS IS A DRAMATIZATION. ACTUALLY, I sent the coin to @YOC in the UK and he used a secret solution and soaked the green off my coin. He found, unbeknownst to us, that it was SILVERED. Cool.

NO SCREWDRIVERS WERE USED TO KILL ANY ANIMALS OR TOUCHED TO ANCIENT COINS...

Only coin from my collection that was ever cleaned. @YOC was kind enough to clean mine...cool results. :)

Bing, Theodosius, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted