Houston Money Show NEWPs

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dadams, Jan 17, 2020.

1. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I’ve been working non-stop, it seems, since after thanksgiving and have generally been too tired (or lazy) when I’ve had downtime so please forgive me for having neglected my CT friends. Today, I finally took a day off and managed to make it over to the annual Houston Money Show where I was happy to find some new items for my collection. I’ve still no focus whatsoever when it comes to Ancients and generally buy what I like when the price seems right. Here is the haul which hasn’t even been out of the pockets for an hour:
    CF812DA1-1859-4F06-9BE8-152E0F64BC0C.jpeg

Let’s see - going from the left:
    Fausta RIC 131
    Kingdom of Siam 1/4 Baht
    Licinius II as Caesar RIC 132
    Ionia, Samos AR Diobol (.97g)
    Latin Rulers of Constantinople AE Small Module Trachy
    Galeria Valeria RIC 115
    Ionia, Miletos AR Diobol? (1.1g)
    Japan SHU
    Roman Forgers Coin Mold
    And in the back is Thailand Boat Money

I’ve not verified any attributions and the small Trachy, Miletos lion and Boat Money came without attributions at all.

The Coin Mold looks nice and was the only one of 3 that the seller had with a sufficient amount of detail in that I think I can identify the coin - possibly a Constans Fel Temp Galley type?
    76E1D4E1-E4ED-46C8-B64A-159F7E3F403C.jpeg

5C3A55F2-F08C-42A2-B38C-6AECF5E7D0C0.jpeg

I guess this will add some work to the load, but at least coins are more enjoyable!

-d

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Nevertheless, what a wonderful, if eclectic haul!!! And the mold...I would probably have to make a wax specimen out of that!

Nicely done! :singing::happy:;)

Gary R. Wilson and dadams like this.
  4. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Here are the flip sides:
    5747ABB0-625C-4B37-9C68-B729070E61DC.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

That's some cool stuff. I especially like the Japan Shu, the boat money (sometimes referred to as Tiger Tongue money when it has bumps in it), the round ball looking one, and the mold. Like Steve, I think I would go ahead and make myself a wax casting from that.

dadams likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That’s a nice haul.

dadams and Hookman like this.
  7. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi @dadams,

I think you have a Constans there. Really nice to have an obverse and reverse. My coin mold has two different obverses: Galerius Maximinus and Licinius [disregard my "Maxentius" typo in the image attached].

upload_2020-1-18_1-55-8.png

- Broucheion

8. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

Congrats on the nice finds! Bit jealous, didn't know the Houston coin show was this weekend. Though I'm stuck at work.

dadams likes this.
  9. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Very nice haul, the fun thing about shows it that you never know what you will bring home.

Pickin and Grinin and dadams like this.
  10. Hookman

Yeah, I didn't know about it either. Obviously not well advertised.

So you live in Houston? I did, in the Memorial area. Now I live in the Memorial Parkway area of Katy.

Maybe we'll see you around and share some coins.

dadams likes this.
  11. J2035

J2035 New Member

My focus is not ancients, but wanted to chime in on the show. I attended the Houston show on Friday afternoon. Thoughts:
    - Show seemed to be well organized from the perspective of a collector
    - While I didn't attend (and probably should have), I appreciated the educational talk by John Frost
    - Dealers with a lot of material on display seemed to be busy. I conversed at length with about half a dozen and they seemed to be pleased with activity. One mentioned moving $3,800 worth of proof sets in a single transaction on Friday (wow!).
    - From a US perspective, Morgans and moderns felt overstocked and there was a lack of quality mid-grade 19th C material - most of it was AG/G.
    - I focus on barbers and only managed to pick up 3 common date dimes in XF and was personally disappointed.

Theodosius, Hookman and dadams like this.
  12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

dadams likes this.
  13. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Got to catalogue a couple of these today and am more pleased now that I have had some time to look them over. As to the Forgers mold there is still quite a bit of dirt filling in the incuse areas and to get a good wax impression would require some more cleaning which I won't endeavor myself - I quite like the dirt as it brings out the design. I'll track down a physical coin to match.

@Hookman indeed I am in Houston, but commute from 30 mi N up HWY 59.
    Thanks for the show report @J2035 - I, too, saw many Morgans and moderns - most of the exact stuff I've been dispersing to buy ancients and other more historical items striking my fancy.

I inquired with one dealer about a JC Portrait coin, since this is on my yearly goals list and I have a bit of green stashed away to spend on one. "Sure, I've got a couple", he says. First one he plops down is $5500 and I comment, "Sure is nice, but I'm afraid I'll need to make a few concessions on grade to get within my price range." Out comes another nice one at $3300. "Any with a bankers mark or such?" I sheepishly say. "How about this one which I can let go for $2000?". "That's getting closer" I comment but I don't find this one very eye appealing at that price so tell him I'll pass. Of course now he pulls out an $800 one that's rubbed down near flush on the obv and the rev is way off center. "Here is cheap one, but honestly, I don't even know why I bought this pig," he says. I look for a quick sec and pass. We talked for over an hour and I bought 3 coins I didn't even know I wanted or needed. C'est la vie.

@Broucheion - Thanks! I'm pretty sure it is Constans and appreciate the affirmation. These molds are neat and tell an interesting story and yours is quite nice as well.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Valentinian and Broucheion like this.
  14. Hookman

Thanks for the reports from the show guys. I'm going to really try not to miss the next one.

dadams likes this.
  15. Exodus_gear

I am out by Baytown near all the refineries due to work. Though I go into Katy for some of the classic car meet ups. Glad to know there are others in my area with the same interest for ancients. A lot harder to find than just coin collectors.

Yeah I didn't hear anything about this coin show or I would have requested the days off.

dadams likes this.
  16. Hookman

We also have Classic Cars in common. Over the years I've owned quite a few. In fact, my very first car I ever owned was a 1967 Pontiac GTO I purchased in 1972 from the original owner. That was my beginning of a love for classic cars. In my entire life, I've never bought a brand new car.
    I've had many cars but I'm cutting down as I get older. In August I sold a car I had had for about 20 years. It was a 1966 Checker Marathon Station Wagon. I still have a 1972 Chevy Monte Carlo LS in storage.

Back to coins, I actually own very few truly old coins. I'm mostly just a silver guy, rather than a coin collector, which is why I like large silver coins, but not the newer issues by all the mints and countries.

Thanks

17. Exodus_gear

Hahaha I started off the same way more or less. Back when I was in high school I would come across silver coins so I would pocket them off to the side. This eventually led me to start collecting U.S. coins first then onto world coins before landing here.

As for vehicles, I currently have my 67 4SPD Cougar and a work car. Working at a refinery out here, can't risk driving the nice car in fear of flying rocks and debris from 18 wheelers. Had a few daily drivers like gremlin and coronet so know the damage they can suffer.

Hookman likes this.
  18. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

looks like a great haul! I missed the Houston show to attend NYINC. Hope to see you at Ed S's next show Mar 13, 14. See coinzip.com for info and other dates.

19. rrdenarius

If you attend once we will put you on a list to receive a card (if you like).
    The next Houston area show is in March. See coinzip.com for details.
    We also have 4 coin clubs in the Houston area:
    Pasadena CC
    Bellair CC
    Houston CC
    plus one in NW Houston.
    You can direct message for more info. Club meetings have auctions, but few ancient coins.

20. rrdenarius

You are right about interesting finds at shows. I did not plan to bring home anything like 4 of my 5 finds.
    20200119_235715.jpg

Johndakerftw, Hookman and dadams like this.
  21. Hookman

I just checked out coin zip dot com, so I know where the show in March will be, and I'm off work that Friday, so It looks very promising...

dadams likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted