House passes major coinage bill

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

Well said. I've been a proponent on the subject for years, sending letters and e-mails to the U.S. Mint, the Treasury Department and various Senators/Congressmen.

BronzeAge and pomyluy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm almost there with you, except that they can't really keep the dime and quarter without also keeping the nickel. I'd go for 10 and 50 cents as the smallest denominations, but I know better than to suggest people give up their quarters.

I'd rather see 25 cents as the only circulating fractional denomination. A dime is barely worth bothering with any more, and I don't see the half dollar coming back -- it's big and bulky, and even though it contains the same amount of metal as two quarters, it seems like more of a nuisance to carry.

4. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

What I would be interested in are coins that are actually attractive and eye appealing, something the state coins sadly lack.
    Also I want to hear that coins are constructed of materials that will hold up. Zinc coins should be banned along with any materials that easily deteriorate and fall apart. Likewise coins that can handle a bit of abuse from daily use. Like Canadian pennies vs US pennies.

pomyluy likes this.
  5. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Now, if they would actually circulate half dollars then this would be put to better use I guess. A lot of people around me out there do not know what these artifacts are.

pomyluy likes this.
  6. pomyluy

pomyluy Member

The cent and nickel have to go, the dime probably should too. That does leave an issue like another poster mentioned since if the quarter's the smallest denomination then everything will have to be sold in multiples of twenty-five cents...not the worst problem in the world, though, it's not like you can buy just about anything for less than a quarter these days. The half dollar should stay and would doubtless get much more circulation with the tiny denominations out the door (though not demonetized, I'd hope). I definitely support introducing $2 and $5 coins (preferably bimetal!), not sure if we really need a $10 coin - it's still a decent amount of money and a coin is easier to lose than a bill, even if it does last decades longer.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  7. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Make the 5's and 10's like the Hong Kong 5 Dollar coins, something that hefty I imagine is hard to lose. I agree on the bi-metal part. I'm a fan of world bi-metal coins as well as high denomination. With the Swiss 5 Francs and Japanese 500 Yens I feel like we're a bit behind the times.

pomyluy likes this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Most Barber halves circulated until they were worn smooth, and fifty cents then was worth something like $15 in today's money.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x and pomyluy like this.
  9. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

I would like to see them do a new "permanent" quarter with Morgan's school girl pattern design with Washington crossing the Delaware on the reverse.

10. BronzeAge

BronzeAge Member

Quote "Most of the state quarters are nice like Kentucky and Nevada. The problem with final products though generally isn't the designers its the committees that almost never pick the best designs. There's countless amazing designs (especially for commemoratives) that they don't pick"

Seems like some states have trouble chosing a design to represent their state. Although I like them and collect them, and they are really well done, how many states can lay claim to the buffalo? Is Connecticut reallly represented by that one tree? Can North Carolina ever brag about something other than the Wright brothers taking a short trip to Kill Devil Hills?

I like Ohio's coin with Neil Armstrong opposite the Wright B Flyer. And Florida's coin puts the Space Shuttle opposite a humongous sailing vessell (probably a Spanish explorer).

Wyoming's coin is perfect. If you've ever been there, you would know what I mean. I actually got stuck in a cattle drive on my motorcycle on a lonely 2 lane highway where homes are 20 miles apart and driveways are a mile long.

Nevada should have had a mushroom cloud from a nuke, but the wild horses are fine.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  11. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

Sorry to say , its just a waste of resources . with this new whatever it is , imo

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Thats one of my least favorite. There’s no flow to it and it’s really not a design it’s just a bunch of things put together.

Conceptually yes it is very good. The execution of it though looks like a school project someone fell asleep half way through and just had to turn in something. The complete lack of detail is really kind of embarrassing to be honest.

13. BronzeAge

BronzeAge Member

Yes, compared to some coins' topographical maps of their state, Wyoming does seem a bit like a high school project.

What do you mean by Florida needs a design? Like a coat-of-arms, or a shield? I just thought of a good one: a 'gator with it's mouth wide open.

Attached Files:

14. baseball21

Not that it needs a design, that the design has no flow. It's just a couple things thrown together no matter how meaningful.

Not even that, the actual design looks like it was started and never finished. They could have kept the exact same thing and put some detail on the cowboy and horse. It looks like it should be a VG coin right off the presses

15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The way coins are circulating these days, most Americans won't see them anyway. They will be seen mostly in collector sets sold at a premium by the mint.

harrync likes this.
  16. baseball21

Almost all Americans use cash to some extent. Collectors certainly won’t be the ones to see them the most from “collector” sets

Tater likes this.
  17. Bill H.

Bill H. Active Member

The 25 cent piece is the most commonly circulated coin. The new designs will slowly enter circulation and a lot of people will save them. The mint will produce billions of them and they'll never have a premium.

18. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

I don't agree, the JFK half dollars are an ongoing commemorative coin. I just wish that the U.S. Mint had changed the reverse in 2014 (like the Lincoln cent 50 year anniversaries) even for just one year. Perhaps would have sparked more interest by collectors.

19. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

I'd go with "quatramillennium". OK, I just made up that word. Actual term is "quarter-millennium".

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The cowboy an bronco is a registered trademark symbol for the state and it is always done as a silhouette. So no detail. I agree though it does make for a very uninspiring design. (and four of the five potential designs used the same basic design, but two of them did have detail to the horse and rider. The fifth was a geyser at Yellowstone.)
    http://www.quarterdesigns.com/proposed/wyoming.html

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Sestercentennial or Semiquincentennial

Draft saved Draft deleted