House passes major coinage bill

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Sep 25, 2020.

1. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

What about new designs of the classics, not just copies? Think Britannia. An 1895 Trade dollar would look perfectly at home next to the modern Britannia bullion design. They also reimagined Una and the Lion in 2001, and again in 2014 with "Hot Britannia" for proof coinage. What could a competent sculptor do with the task to modernize the seated, standing, or walking Liberty designs?

Dobbin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Most of the state quarters are nice like Kentucky and Nevada. The problem with final products though generally isn't the designers its the committees that almost never pick the best designs. There's countless amazing designs (especially for commemoratives) that they don't pick

Redesign or modernization if it looks nice I would be interested in, just not the exact same as before.

BronzeAge likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Which form is that? (Just coming back from another voyage down the Wiki-rabbit-hole, where I see forms that look like anything from Prince to awareness ribbons...)

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

That's hilarious, and racist.

6. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

How is a coin that honors two African-Americans on the obverse and has "FREEDOM AND OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL" inscribed on the reverse "racist"?

BronzeAge likes this.
  7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The awareness ribbon 4 was used in the 15th century, and where coins are dated with Arabic numerals, you see it.

8. Dobbin

Dobbin Active Member

Beauty being subjective, I would say that the designs may be nicely rendered pieces of art but make for ugly coins. Even the obverse, with the rearranged legends, looks like a token to my eye.

9. baseball21

If you just don't like quarters then you just don't like quarters. Nothing wrong with that but it doesn't mean the designs were all bad

10. Dobbin

Dobbin Active Member

Deal. But you make my point for me. There WOULD be interest in throwbacks, even if you yourself don't like them.

11. baseball21

I never said their wouldn't be. There's interest in anything the mint makes from some people. Pumping out large quantities of throwbacks with the exact same design wouldn't be good for the classic coins but there would be interest. My biggest point really was that it's just lazy for the US mint to rely on that and they can and should do better. At least do some redesigns on it

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No but you would think they could come to a happy medium. As I suggested years ago, redesign the cent, then 5 years later the 5 cent, another five years the dime, then the quarter, and 5 years after that it will have been 25 years for the cent making it now eligible again for redesign under the Act of 1890 (and the Sec Treas could fo it on his own authority without involving Congress) and start the process over again. That way every five years SOMETHING gets redesigned, each design gets it's 25 year run, and you have the chance eventually of each coin having two or more designs in co-circulation.

pomyluy, ldhair and LakeEffect like this.
  13. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

That's just crazy talk.

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

... to be massless? You've got MY vote!

pomyluy likes this.
  15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Women edited

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2020
  16. Cheech9712

I agree. Throwing stuff against the wall and seeing If it stickS. Planing is terrible. Stamp something that really represents these times. Like doctors and nurses and EMT’s and human angles

17. Cheech9712

Don’t put another (DIFFERENT) president on another coin (ever?). Not feeling it. This this is the end of Good Quarterback type presidents. Tainted from now on. Doug Was I ok with that

pomyluy likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

19. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

I have a suggestion for the OBVERSE of any coin being considered for coinage honoring ANY politicians - How about a picture of an old outhouse!!!

20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I'm with BlackberryPie on this one... Thank you for the post.

21. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

If “they” want a new series of coins with staying power how about small size $2 $5 and $10. And while they’re at it get real by getting rid of the cent, nickel and half.

Draft saved Draft deleted