Hosting a (small) coin show- Looking for tips from the Pros

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ace71499, Apr 1, 2018.

1. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Hey Guys,

I am thinking about hosting a coin show at the library where I work. I feel like it would be a great venue to get 20 or so dealers to set up shop for a coin show. We have a large meeting room in which the dealers could set up from 9-5 on a Saturday and hopefully have a good profitable day.

Before I pitch this to my bosses, I'd like to ask you what I'd have to think about before planning it. I've only been to a couple coin shows so my exposure is limited.

What I'm thinking of doing is calling local dealers to see if they'd like to have a table here. Are dealers usually charged for a table, or is it free usually? Do I need security (the library is located in a low crime area with the police station walking distance away). Do I provide food for the dealers?

There's just so many things I'm unsure about. I know some of you have set up coin shows as well, I can think of the person but can't place the username. Please tag them if you remember (their picture is Luke from the latest star wars movie).

I'd appriciate any input, even if you think it's a bad idea. Rather know now then after I pitch it.

Happy Easter!

Jason

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ace71499

4. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Does your state have a sales tax on coins?

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Not relevant to the discussion.
    Even if they do, it's the obligation of the seller to collect it, not the promoter of the show.

6. ace71499

I was also thinking in terms of advertising.

I am thinking a month would be the very least i would give notice in advance. Would probably send a note to the surrounding coin clubs (not that there are very many). Also, maybe send fliers to the dealers in the area to post at their discretion.

And of course i would post something nice here.

Any tips about this would also be appreciated.

7. hchcoin

hchcoin Active Member

I think it is a great idea if the library would be open to it. I think 20 dealers is a lot for your first show because many dealers are going to want more than 1 table. Does the meeting room have over 40 eight foot tables? If you are located in a larger city you may be able to get that many dealers just make sure you have the space in the meeting room for the dealers and the customers. The small show we put on in my town is usually around 10 dealers and 20+ tables. Don't forget they need electricity for their table lamps. Are you going to have chairs at the tables or no chairs? Our show got rid of the chairs so people wouldn't camp out in front of the tables for too long and block the display cases. I personally like 1 chair per dealer in case someone has a bad back, hips or knees.

How are you going to advertise locally? This usually costs money. You can also list it on coinzip.com for free I believe. We also put an ad in our state coin club which has a newsletter that goes out across the state in the mail. You have to get it in there months in advance. We have a free weekly advertiser that goes out to 20,000 homes and businesses that we advertise in for a small fee.

Also, is the library going to let them do this for free? Usually dealers pay for a table to offset the costs of renting the facility and having advertising. It is also a fundraiser for our club. Do you have a local coin club near by that you could partner with. I am sure they would be willing to lend a hand and get the word out.

We don't have security during the show because it is a rural small town. Our state is conceal carry so the dealers can be armed if they have the permit. We order out for lunch and have it delivered. Each dealer pays for their own food. Sometimes we have snacks for the dealers. We do have a police squad car sit in the parking lot when we unload and load before and after the show if they are available. Dealers are also encouraged to leave in pairs at a minimum. We always have the show during daylight hours.

Don't forget to invite the local boy/cub scouts so they can earn their coin collecting merit badge.

Have fun with it. Everyone should help organize a coin show at least once in their life :)

8. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Jason
    I started a small local coin show for my local club a few years ago. We have 32 tables and the club does very well. As a non profit education focused club we use the coin show proceeds to fund our state Society Exhibit prizes and Numismatic related book purchases for our local library where we hold our monthly meetings.

As far as show hours, I’d suggest dealer arrival at 7:30-8:00, open to the public at 9:00-10:00, and closing at3:00 PM.

I would first look at the space I have available, do you have enough tables and chairs? Four chairs per table, two on the dealer side and two on the customer side. Also plan on a back table for each dealer. You also need to provide one electric outlet for each dealer table. Also try to have a seven foot aisle. Prepare a master floor plan and number each dealer table. Some dealers might want two tables and others will opt for a single. Be sure to plan an a space between adjacent dealer tables.

Once you know how many tables you can accommodate look toward filling them. Does a local club or a state association have info on dealers in the area. If so start a list of dealers with address and phone and emails. Start thinking about a Dealer Table Application form, I can help with this.

How will funds be handled? Get a handle on this.

All this will help you present a through plan for approval. Feel free to start a Private Conversation with me and we can talk more.

9. Mike Drop

Mike Drop Active Member

I would advise for you to have a small number of staff (3-5) that are your per say repesenatives or assistants in any matter that requires attention. Just find some people you trust and know could help out with at least minimal understanding of coins and I think more hands will be beneficial.

10. ace71499

Great idea in terms of advertising through a coin club. The closest coin club to me is about an hour away, but who knows how far and wide their membership reaches.
    We generally do not charge to rent out the room if it is an event open to the public. If it is a private meeting then we change something small, i think around 50 bucks.
    Great idea about the police car outside when dealers are entering and leaving.
    And i love the boy scout invitation. I would have never thought of this.

I didn't think that dealers would want more than 1 table, but that is good that you (both) mentioned it. I also didn't think about the electric requirement for each dealer. I will have to check policy on power strips.

It will be tough to provide people with enough space if i include chairs outside the tables and an inner table for dealers. As i said before i have only been to limited shows, but i don't recall anyone seeing any inner tables for dealers. I will have to do more research on this to see what will fit.

In terms of dealer application form, do you think this is necessary? Would this deter them from coming, as I'm asking for them to come not them asking me to come (like if i want them to come why do they have to apply).

Funds would go to the "Friends of the Library" most likely. Charitable organization that helps fund expensive items for the library (like 3d printers and wifi hotspots). If there is any cost to the library (i.e advertising) it will be reimbursed through whatever funds are raised. This is also contingent on if i charge dealers to come.

Draft saved Draft deleted