Host Coins?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Apr 30, 2020.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

This is one of the coins I received in the mail yesterday. It was labeled as Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine. Besides that, there was nothing else to go off.

After a bit of searching, the closest I can guess is this, though I don't think it is correct as I see what I "think" is CONS on the right side of the obverse:

Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine
    AE Follis
    610-641
    Thessalonica
    Obverse: DN hERACLIVS PP AVG, Heraclius on left and Heraclius Constantine on right, standing or seated facing, both crowned and wearing chlamys and each holding cross on globe, cross between their heads
    Reverse: Large M, ANNO to left, cross above, regnal year to right, mintmark ΘEC, ΘES, TES or TEC (72 combinations)
    SB 824, MIB 218-220
    IMG-6901-removebg-preview.png

However, the most interesting thing (for me) is the fact that after turning it in the light, I can make out a bit of the host coin on the reverse. If you turn it 10-15 degrees to the left, I can make out a hand holding a cross to the right and what looks like a hand on the left. About 5 and 7 o'clock.

I looked around but couldn't find a match. Am I seeing things or am I off in what I think I see? I'd love to be able to figure out what the host coin was.
    IMG-6909-removebg-preview.png

After all that, I'd like to see some of your coins that have host coins that are identifiable underneath. Thanks for looking!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Hint: relatively fewer of these show the cross in the left hand. It often helps to photograph the coin from the angle placing the undertype 'right side up'

Mine are messy:
    Heraculius Constantinople year 5 / Justin II Constantinople year 6 or 7? Both workshop E
    rz0335fd2410.jpg
    Note below the hERC CONSTANT is like yours and from the overtype. Undertype possibly Maurice Tiberius?
    rz0340bb1171.jpg

I actually paid extra for this one because there was so much showing from both uses. Try to figure it out. The least certain part is the mint of the overtype. I dream I am seeing an S from the undertype and another S from the overtype almost on top of each other (so the horseman is Siscia???).
    rx7205bb2887rot.jpg
    RIC VIII page 375 #343 or 345and 324 # 107 might work???

Overstrikes tend to get expensive because I am driven to seek out the undertype as a solo coin just for comparison. This is a Magnentius over Constantine II/
    rx7065fd1265comp.jpg

Carausius Pax / Victorinus Salus
    rt3455bb3118.jpg
    rr1957bb1316.jpg

rrdenarius, Bing, furryfrog02 and 3 others like this.
  4. furryfrog02

Those are some great examples @dougsmit! I like how you have the undertype examples as well.

5. furryfrog02

I couldn't find any decent example of someone holding a cross in their right and now I have flipped this dang thing around a bunch of times and can't tell up from down.:facepalm:
    I flipped it and now can't tell if it is correct because the hand seems really high up on the left side. It looks like "AV" to the left of that though.
    I am guessing out of my butt but was assuming Maurice Tiberius but that is just a guess and not based on any solid evidence.
    Untitled.jpg

Bing likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted