Horseshoes and Handgrenades

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mernskeeter, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Mernskeeter

Mernskeeter Active Member

I know this question has been asked a thousand times but have looked up how to identify doubling vs double die but I still need help :/
    Which is this?
    Thank you everybody :)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Mernskeeter likes this.
  4. Legomaster1

"A true doubled die is a variety in that it is created during the die making process. As a result, the doubling will appear on every coin struck from that die." -NGC

paddyman98 and Mernskeeter like this.
  5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

die deterioration doubling... notice how thin the letters look and how the doubling surrounds them..

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's a very funny one. What's the date and mint on that? While there are different classes of die doubling, which all manifest slightly differently, they're all still side-by-side images, with one just a hair off from the other, and not like this one, with one image basically superimposed on the other. This is extreme strike doubling. Planchet took a hop or a slide when it was struck because it wasn't fastened securely in the collar or for any other number of reasons. In fact, let's see the rest of it, both sides, if you will...

Mernskeeter and Legomaster1 like this.
  7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

What is the date? This will allow us to know if multiple squeeze hubbing , or single squeeze. I am suspecting man made at the moment due to lack of similar on the back of Lincoln.
    Whole image would be helpful. Jim

Mernskeeter likes this.
  8. Mernskeeter

I deliberately decided to only post the pictures of the area of the coin that was in question. It is a date that has been documented to have doubling. As everyone can understand we all get so excited if we find a true double die. I just don't want to get too happy for myself just yet..

9. Legomaster1

If you post the whole image, it will be easier to tell what it is.

Mernskeeter likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Mernskeeter

If it appears to be flat and shelf-like, you can bet your sweet bippy that it is not a true doubled die.

Chris

Mernskeeter and Legomaster1 like this.
  11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

you should always post full images of the front/obverse and back/reverse plus your closeups and any research/info you come up with. Sometimes doubling is hard to discern if it is or isn't especially in the single squeeze era (which confounds me all the time).

Mernskeeter likes this.
  12. Mernskeeter

13. Mernskeeter

I'm trying to upload a file..it isn't working..problem is I am no longer home to take full pictures.. :/

14. Mernskeeter

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Actually, the term is "doubled die." Also, the date and mint mark can be checked out as against known doubled dies, that's why we're requesting that.

Mernskeeter likes this.
  16. Clawcoins

Mernskeeter likes this.
  17. Clawcoins

Even with the known DD, I'd guess MD due to a MAD due to the added varying thickness of the rim in that area. But then, I'm not a DD expert and more often than not get it wrong.

Mernskeeter likes this.
  18. Mernskeeter

19. Mernskeeter

I didn't notice the/a misaligned die..hmm..i will have to reexamine when I get home. :)

20. Clawcoins

thus the reason to show then entire obverse and reverse.

Many times people get so obsessed with one particular, singular aspect of a coin they totally ignore a bunch of other identifiers/clues that could be all over the place, even right next to it.

Mernskeeter likes this.
  21. Mernskeeter

Yes! Thank you:)

Draft saved Draft deleted