Horrible picture purchase!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrweaseluv, Apr 10, 2021.

1. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

yes the pic is horrible, but I've dealt with the seller several times in the past, I asked him for a clearer pic, but he couldn't get it utill sunday (coin being at the shop) but he says, "you won't be disapointed with this one"... PS yes there is sticker "goo" over the hologram, but I trust the seller enough to buy with this pic, I trust that it is only sticker goo :D easy enough to remove...)
    so since we can't do a GTG, I'll give you the fuzzy pics now and good ones when it arrives :D
    1884-o MS63 PL at 3/4 list (much better then x2 lol)
    1884pl.jpg 1884plr.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

There were many a coin back in that slab over graded. Ones that would never get the designation.
    Make sure you get a good copy of the return policy.

4. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

At least PCGS certifies the coins. So at least you know it will meet MS63PL standards. Oh and if you ever sell it because it's PCGS graded you should be able to get a fair price for it.

5. mrweaseluv

True, but there were just as many undergraded. When a dealer that i've gone through a return with already (something i very seldom do) tells me "you won't be disapointed" i give them the benefit of the doubt and as blake mentioned it is pcgs slabbed, so paying a hair over 2/3s pcgs list for it, not much chance I can lose... I may not like the coin in the end, but with a pcgs PL grade I know i can get my money back :D

6. Gam3rBlake

Doesn't PCGS guarantee their grades?

So if it's undergraded my understanding is that PCGS will pay the fair market price difference between the grade they incorrectly gave it and the grade it actually is OR they will replace it with a properly graded coin of the same type.

At least it's not a super expensive coin. If you plan on keeping it for a while my guess is the value of the coin will go up enough to where you'll be able to get your money back if you want.

7. Gam3rBlake

PCGS guarantees the grade. So if he sent the coin in today and PCGS says it's overgraded they would pay him the difference between what it's graded at on the holder and what they grade it today.

If it's an MS62PL but labeled as an MS63PL they will pay the fair market price difference between 62PL and 63PL. The other thing they have the option of doing is replacing his undergraded coin with a different MS63PL that is accurately graded.

The PCGS guarantee allows them to do either of those options. That's one good thing about PCGS & NGC graded coins. You can buy them with the confidence of knowing it is backed up by them.

8. mrweaseluv

Yeah a few big dates I doubt I can afford in MS grades, but I keeping a eye out for sharp ones i can afford lol most will be the best i can afford comfortably hehe

9. Gam3rBlake

Fortunately there are ALOT of Morgan Dollars that you can get in MS condition for between $100-$250. Even more between $250-$500.

You might never be able to get an MS 1893 S (unless you’re rich!) but you can definitely assemble a huge collection.

With coins like the 1893 S though I say good enough is good enough. I would be fine with a VG-F graded one just like my F-12 1799 Draped Bust Dollar.

Besides, a collection full of MS67 Morgan Dollars might be impressive but it would look pretty boring. Just row after row of bright shiny coins identical to each other but with different dates & Mint marks.

At least circulated ones have some unique looks and it gives them personality. It also means the coins have lots of stories to tell as they were being used by people of the time instead of just locked up in a safe for 100 years.

Beefer518 likes this.
  10. mrweaseluv

no arguments from me :D but decided if I was going to do a slabbed set it would be MS but by doing a date set, i can avoid the worst.. getting a 93p (still not cheap but it fills that date) is possible might only be AU or XF but I will cover all the dates (and mint marks meaning at least 1 CC lol) added bonus i keep an eye out for better vams and of course PLs where i can :D

11. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I don't know if it's true or not but somewhere I heard a story about a guy who sent in an ogh or rattler idk which. But it was PL. He wanted it in a current holder for purposes of wanting it to match the rest of his collection. They knocked the PL off because since it was originally graded and now the standards changed. He said they didn't pay him the difference because the standards changed. Like I say, may or may not be true, idk. But I believe I read that on a forum somewhere

12. Gam3rBlake

Did he have any proof of this?

From what I’ve read PCGS guarantees the grade and if that really happened and his OGH PL was found not to be a PL by modern standards they would’ve either A). Given him a PL coin of the same date & type. Or B). Paid him the market price difference between his non-PL and a PL.

13. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

Idk. This is just something I heard about happening. The claim was he got no compensation.

14. Gam3rBlake

Oh hmm..I would take that with a large grain of salt unless he had some sort of proof or evidence.

Anyone can make a statement like that. He might just be anti-PCGS and trying to make them look bad.

Because if you think about it, if PCGS didn't honor their guarantee it would get out fast and their reputation would be ruined.

They are used to grade multi-million dollar coins so it's in their best interest to maintain their reputation and not lose it to another company like NGC.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  15. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Just a bit of a derail, but this is exactly why I don't have many Morgans, or really any series other than (old) Commemoratives. Seen one, pretty much seen them all.

Draft saved Draft deleted