Horn Silver

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by physics-fan3.14, Sep 4, 2016.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Carthago likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Oxidation-Reduction reactions involve the transfer of electrons from the oxidized element to the reduced element. The mass of an electron is so small
    9.109×1028 gram

The measurement would not be noticeable.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Oxidize a hydrocarbon to carbon. The hydrogen goes away as water, resulting in a loss of approximately 1/7 of the hydrocarbon's original mass. Oxidize it some more, to water and carbon dioxide, and it all goes away.

Reduce a ketone to a secondary alcohol; it gains the mass of two hydrogen atoms.

I'm up for a pedant-off about definitions of oxidation and reduction, but it probably ought to go into another thread, certainly another forum, and possibly another site. ;)

Victor_Clark likes this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

My assumption was that we were doing coin metals where the products did not turn into products that could evaporate over a very short time. :)

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

[​IMG]

Apollonia Pontica Thrace AR Diobol 1-3g 410-323 BCE Apollo-Anchor crab A Tupalov 56.JPG
    Apollonia Pontica Thrace AR Diobol 1-3g 410-323 BCE Apollo-Anchor crab A Tupalov 56

Bing and red_spork like this.
  7. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

8. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

i think i ran into horn silver recently. This coin was very dark on outer layers, mineralization above that made it look like an encrusted bronze. I started digging through, it had a thin gold plate layer and underneath billon i think. Either billon is normally dark or this is horn silver. Very soft, hard to remove with taking more billon/silver away. A0787D77-B6BA-4A12-8533-A21E72484D17.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted