Hoplite thread: a hefty Greek stater (ten times the weight of a sceatta)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roerbakmix, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Though early medieval coinage has become the focus of my collection, I can not resist the occasional Greek, Roman or Celtic coin that grasp my attention. Especially when it's silver and heavy - a combination that hits a weak spot.

When this coin arrived in my mailbox today, I was positively surprised by the weight of the enveloppe: indeed, the coin weights a serious 10.4 grams. This is more than the average sceatta (weight ranges between 0.7-1.2 grams) and a gentle physical reminder of other interesting collection area's beyond Anglo-Saxon. The coin in question is both cool (it shows complete die rust / die break on the obverse, which is apparently typical for this type, and a cool Greek hoplite on the reverse), and comes with an interesting provenance to Prof. Dr. J. van der Dussen, a well-known Dutch numismatist.

Here is the coin:
    upload_2021-1-26_23-10-51.png
    GREEK, Anonymous. Denomination: AR Stater or , minted: Tarsos, Cilicia; 410-385 BC
    Obv: Total die break or corrosion; should show a warrior, holding two spears in right hand, on horse galloping left; to right, bee upward
    Rev: TRZ (Tarsus), hoplite wearing Corinthian helmet, kneeling right, in defensive position holding spear and shield.
    Weight: 10.4g; Ø:22mm. Catalogue: SNG France 211-212; Chandon 635-636. Provenance: Ex. collection Prof. Dussen; Ex. Auktion Hirsch Feb 2003; acq.: 01-2021
    Die break on obverse die typical for issue; flan-crack or test cut

Please show cool Greek coins with hoplites!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I have no hoplites but I DO have a question...Is that guy....naked?
    I'm pretty sure, from everything I've read and listened to, they didn't go into battle naked.
    Or maybe I'm just seeing things?

Either way, that is a great coin! Thanks for sharing!

Amit Vyas and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice pickup, @Roerbakmix ... cool blown out die on the Obverse!

Not a Greek Hoplite, but a Samnium Warrior in the same theme as a Hoplite:

upload_2021-1-26_17-14-27.png
    Sicily, Mamertini
    AE Pentonkion circa 264-241,
    Æ 26mm., 10.61g.
    Obv: Laureate head of Zeus r.
    Rev: MAMERTINΩN Warrior advancing r., holding spear and shield; in r. field, Π.
    Ref: SNG ANS 441. Calciati I, 41.
    Comment: Attractive green patina. Good Very Fine.
    Ex: From the E.E. Clain-Stefanelli collection.
    Ex: Naville Action

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  5. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Phoenicia, Byblus Ozbal 400-340 BC Shekel, 13.28 gm.

War galley proceeding left with prow terminating in lion's head, containing three hoplites with crested helmets and round shields, on zigzag line of waves; below, Phoenician inscription OZ above back of hippocamp left, murex shell below / Phoenician inscription 'ZBL' MLK GBL, lion left attacking bull. SNG Copenhagen 132. HGC 10, 133.
    Quite possibly the highest graded but they don't maintain/display the population for ancients on their website. NGC MS 5/5 - 5/5.

Phoenicia Byblus Ozbal Shekel Obv.jpg

Phoenicia Byblus Ozbal Shekel Rev.jpg

Johndakerftw, Bing, Andres2 and 6 others like this.
  6. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

...That would be different. Only people I ever heard of who went into battle naked were those crazy-azy Celts. Who were probably roaring drunk at the same time.

7. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Interesting coin – I wonder what the heck happened to that obverse die!

My only hoplite coin is this Aspendos stater. The type once was rare, but after the recent hoard it has to be considered common. My example has two massive test cuts:
    Griechen – Pamphylien, Aspendos, Stater, Krieger Triskele (neu).png
    Pamphylia, Aspendos, AR stater, ca. 465–430 BC. Obv: Warrior walking r., holding spear and shield. Rev: Triskeles, two test cuts. 17mm, 10.91g. Ref: SNG France 1–11.

Draft saved Draft deleted