Honorius, Theo II, Arcadius gold set completed

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GregH, Jan 14, 2019.

1. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Another small accomplishment - I’ve added a Honorius solidus, joining my solidi of his co-emperors Arcadius and Theo II. I’m aiming to collect as many of the later emperors in gold as I can. These are generally a lot more affordable than the aurei of the earlier emperors (of which I currently own zero):
    90BEC04A-F7DD-4653-9868-1186B9190BC7.jpeg C18EDBA3-E8B9-4AB8-89F1-195B0A5032EE.jpeg 79E70F27-3CF5-4D56-B58C-CCBD788CC566.jpeg

Which emperors do you own solidi of?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RichardT

RichardT Well-Known Member

Beautiful solidi, Greg. I really like the artistry on Late Roman gold, although the types are quite immobile.

Here's one of my favourite solidi, an issue of Arcadius from Constantinople. The reverse type is normally seen on semissi.

The reverse legend NOVA SPES REIPVBLICAE is a bit of mystery since it means "new hope of the republic". But Arcadius had held office for at least 10 years, if Victory hadn't made a mistake (VOT XX MVT XXX). 57.1.jpg

4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

The detail of the reverses on all three is fantastic, great buying.

GregH likes this.
  5. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

GregH, Nice group of late gold ;)! You're right about the cost factor of late Roman gold. Attached are photos of a Honorius solidus from Ravenna still in my collection.
    IMG_6164.JPG IMG_6165.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted