Honest question: why do you like collecting error coins?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Cinco71, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Cinco71

Cinco71 Well-Known Member

All -- this is something I've wondered for quite awhile and I'm honestly interested to hear some responses to this: why do you collect error coins?

While I collect coins, mainly ancients, but also dabble in world coins and am putting together a US type set, I've never been drawn to the notion of looking for and collecting coins with errors. From the outside looking in, I just don't see what the allure is. If anything, I want my coins to be as nice and error free as possible. But folks in this forum see things quite differently, so to speak.

So, would anyone please let me know what I'm missing out on? What lured you in and keeps you collecting these types of coins?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

To me it's just the hunt to include them in a set.
    Like the Lincoln cent series. I had many errors at one time including the 1909 errors, the 1955 DDO, and 9 yes NINE 1972 DDO.
    If you check out my show cases you will see them and more.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I'm with@dwhiz.
    Also, As a kid(55 now), we were growing up learning about special coins that could be possibly found in circulation and that were only seen in coin books! This for me was like looking for treasure. Just the thought of finding or buying one someday was a dream of mine.:)

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Mainly because they are different. 2nd they might be rare ? 3rd They might be valuable. 4th they are fun to look at. I like them because some might be rare. For U.S. coins I have a high grade 1984 doubled ear cent. 1943-P Jefferson Nickel a doubled eye nickel. Off center quarter...

1943 A.jpeg
    1943 C.jpeg

184 DDO copy.jpeg

pex79o53e79v.jpeg
    off center Q B.jpeg

I have many World Coin errors too. Link: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/post-your-world-error-coins.324945/

Probably my rarest world coin is the Canadian caribou quarter struck on a cent planchet. I collect Canadian caribou quarters so that interests me in adding those as well....(also a caribou quarter struck on a nickel and dime planchet) They were not cheap either.

Egypt King Tutankhamun 1 pound 2010 double struck- 2nd strike 40% off center. I have nicknamed this coin "The curse of King Tut"...

King Tut A.jpeg
    King Tut B.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

It's probably the detective in me . . . wanting to understand how an error coin was made is just as important to me as appreciating how different it looks. Some error coins have really stumped me for a long time and, when I finally figure out what caused the error, I can take great satisfaction in that.

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

But lets sort this out as the op asked about errors....not varieties. There's a difference...now I have collected both. Erros are striked related, as varieties like ddo ,ddr's rpd,rpms are varieties.
    Yoda's first 2 are varieties ,where as the off center quarter is an error.

I loved searching mint bags in the past, as one would find a lot of errors. Now a days the quality assurance catches and cancels errors ,their system does a great job kicking out mis minted coins. Unfortunately doing such great work it has just about killed any chances to find mint errors in bags.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I don't search out and collect errors specifically but when I come across them in my searches they are always a welcome addition to my collection. They are just interesting oddities imo.
    No Date CUD 2.5g.jpg 1979P Obv Lam All.jpg 198- Struck Through Die Cap.jpg

JPD3, dwhiz, john65999 and 4 others like this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

There are two different views on collecting Mint Errors.. Some people think that its dumb and that nobody should own them. Those people suck!

Then others think they are cool and love them..

I think they are cool and I love them!

I've been collecting, studying and sharing my knowledge of mint errors for almost 37 years now.
    20180208_214327-1(1).jpg
    And this is an old picture.. I have added about 30 more Attributed Mint Errors since it was taken :rolleyes:

dwhiz, Cinco71, spirityoda and 4 others like this.
  10. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Well-Known Member

I am a perfectionist at heart, so I love them for their imperfections and uniqness if that makes sense:)

11. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I've been collecting for over 70 years and have nothing left collect other than very expensive, very rare coins. CRH is not for me. I watch for errors and varieties because I like to find something I don't have. I now collect ancients. I wanted to maintain the "finding in the wild" approach, so, I get uncleaned and as I clean and attribute them, I have the feel of finding them in change. It keeps me in the hobby.

dwhiz, Cheech9712, Kentucky and 5 others like this.
  12. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

For me it was the thrill of the hunt. I used to search for penny errors as a kid 60 years ago but only found filled numbers\letters and laminations. The only oddity I bought, for fun, was a copper plated steel cent. I would like having the '55 DD, the popular overdates, and the 3-legger but they're too pricey for me and could never imagine finding one in the wild. Now days I can't understand so many people looking for DD's that take a microscope to see (and are usually wrong). Also, looking on eBay at what's being passed off as errors, and their insane prices, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

dwhiz, Eric the Red, chascat and 2 others like this.
  13. usmc 6123

usmc 6123 Active Member

I collect lamination errors before the cent is struck.Each one is different. Mostly from eBay over the years. They really float my boat. yea man.

14. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Errors don't really float my boat either...I never heard of rewards coming from mistakes, except maybe my birth

dwhiz and usmc 6123 like this.
  15. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

You can walk into almost any coin shop in the world and find/buy almost any grade of a country’s coins. But try and walk into a coin shop and find error (or variety) coins and you will very disappointed. Error coins are just had to find. Oh the thrill of the hunt!

Also, you can almost never find two error coins that are exactly the same. Unlike a slabbed coin with say an MS 60 designation which is going to look like all the other MS60 designated coins of the same type. So you have individuality also going for you on an error coin.

Try to put a complete set of error coins together. You really can’t, because no one knows what errors are out there, and no two are exactly the same. To me this is a plus because you don’t have to get aggravated over that hole in an album, or grade you are missing. Knowing a full set does not exist takes the angst out of collecting.

Well that’s my story an I am sticking to it.

dwhiz, Cheech9712, john65999 and 2 others like this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I wouldn’t like to have errors in my car or a few other things I own, but coins, errors are great. I’m not a variety collector, but I do enjoy the hunt of finding a coin with a genuine mint error.

Yes a letter or number missing from a coin due to grease is nice and a die crack is also nice but I mean less common Mint errors. Incomplete Planchets, over dates, clashes, laminations, and doubled dies, etc. are truly wonderful coins to find and own.

Here are a few of mine:
    8F912E30-E49F-43E2-8870-B354462901F7.jpeg C3407E6F-B2F0-4D46-8168-00DC6F9983B4.jpeg 7E3CDA4E-924A-4AE1-B9CC-A61E9F24CCDC.jpeg 97E8C0E2-8288-41F5-AF4F-3614E3D9AB6A.jpeg BAF59DB1-DD62-4971-A863-C7DE5DA6090E.jpeg 26774C33-CBC3-4DBF-9B49-BC36ECFCCAEF.jpeg F4A43DDE-1A30-4144-8A8C-14D0C6CCECDB.jpeg 0132142A-B4A2-4267-BE24-5587CC5B67F1.jpeg E6EAB82E-E7D5-4B9B-B83E-D2E41AD6FF56.jpeg

dwhiz, john65999, spirityoda and 2 others like this.
  17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

For me, it's partly the hunt, but more than that, it's that they are different. If you look at your coins regularly, (no matter what country you live it) they become common place and ordinary, but find a coin with an obvious error and it stands out. Most are one of kind, so finding them is more challenging than just collecting regular coins.
    Note: I, personally, only like collecting obvious errors that can be easily seen with the naked eye.

dwhiz and Cinco71 like this.
  18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am liking that double struck nickel. Sweet error.:jawdrop::):cool:

Collecting Nut likes this.
  19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I passed up the opportunity to buy a flip over double struck nickel very recently. I bought another coin that I wanted more but here is a flip over double struck cent. The last photo shows it best.
    FB74B7A6-5A4E-4632-90A0-9066975CCAA4.jpeg 843BE292-787D-4BF8-8680-7DCB18DAA543.jpeg A54AC132-EB15-4437-8D1E-FA68C0E67D70.jpeg

spirityoda, dwhiz and john65999 like this.
  20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

My siblings told me I was an error and it stuck. I'm always looking for worse errors them me, in coins that is.

21. Cinco71

Cinco71 Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question. I appreciate you taking the time to share what you personally get out of your hobby. While I'm not ready to start hunting for errors or varieties just yet, I'm glad so many of you find happiness in doing so.

Draft saved Draft deleted