Holy shill!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Numismat, Oct 25, 2016.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I can see that argument

Numismat likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. carly

carly Member

So now that the dust has cleared, the winning bidder has bid on 42 auctions and 81% of them are with this seller.

Nope, not suspicious at all.

4. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

I havent been buying on Ebay for long and I've noticed the shill bidders, I might stick to BIN listings for this reason.

5. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

I'm not sure why folks still pay attention to % of bids with particular sellers. Often I will have around 30+ percent of my bids with only 1 dealer. There are occasionally periods of time it'll be 50-70% when I'm really inactively bidding.

6. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

The two are very different. Asking a high price with full disclosure is okay. Shilling someone up to make the item look like it is worth more on the open market and devising a scheme to artificially increase the final price realized via shill bids constitutes fraud. In my book, fraudster = scammer.

Numismat and ldhair like this.
  7. robec

robec Junior Member

Not only that, the underbidder's percentage is even higher. 100% of his bids are with this seller.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Is it really a scam? Major auction houses do this exact same thing and have it in their contracts that they reserve the right to do so. The other poster was correct in that every bidder has complete control of what their max bid is

9. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Reserving the right to bid up their own items with fake bids if they are not selling high enough? What auction house does that? Please do tell, so I can avoid them like the plague and warn others. That is a contender for #1 shadiest auction house policy I've ever heard of.

10. Coinchemistry 2012

Almost all of them. It is disclosed in the terms of use/bidding when you register. The only notable exceptions (at least last time I checked) were Scotsman and Great Collections.

11. Coinchemistry 2012

The keyword here is disclosure. As long as it is disclosed, there is no fraud despite the fact that I don't care for the practice. If it is not disclosed then it constitutes wire fraud.

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's explicitly prohibited in eBay's Terms of Service.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I agree disclosure is the way to do it and the fact Great Collections doesn't is probably one of the biggest reasons they often have softer final prices. I just assume it's going to happen with a lot of eBay sellers and set my max bid and if I win I win.

That's true but just because eBay doesn't allow something doesn't mean it's a scam. They ban the sale of Cuban coins as well even though it is perfectly legal. I was more or less just pointing out that shilling happens in a lot more places then just eBay and a lot of people were probably unaware of it, no matter what though as a bidder you always control what the highest amount you are willing to pay is

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's against the rules, and it's intended to deceive. Maybe that's not sufficient to define "a scam", but it's close enough for me. (In this, for once, I'm not a compulsive stickler for detail.)

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted