HOLY MONEY, BATMAN!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gavin Richardson, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

So I just bought this Diocletian SACRA MONETA coin last night (seller’s pic):

Obverse: IMP DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, His laureate head right.
    Reverse: SACRA MONET AVGG ET CAESS NOSTR, Moneta standing left holding cornucopia and scales. Upward crescent and A on either side, SIS in exergue.
    Reference: RIC 134a, page 469, vol. VII.

DIOCLETIAN SM.jpg

While I await its arrival I’d like to learn more about the SACRA MONETA concept. In what sense was Roman money “holy”?

I am aware of the tradition that the early Roman mint stood adjacent to the Temple of Juno Moneta (“Juno the Warner”), and that such an association provides the ultimate source of our word “money.” But by the time of Diocletian, the “sacra” seems to modify moneta—apparently rendering the money itself sacred.

I can see how money might be related to a host of ethical concerns or prayerful hopes--fair-dealing, honesty, abundance, prosperity--indeed, these concerns are implied in reverse depictions of Moneta (?) holding scales and a cornucopia. But the phrase “sacred money” elevates money to a kind of divine status that strikes me as odd, even for the Romans.

I would be grateful for any thoughts on how money could be deemed “holy” in the Roman mind. Or am I misreading this concept? And feel free to post any depictions of Moneta. Was she a proper goddess actively worshiped, or more of a symbolic representation of an idea, sort of like the winged victory on coins minted well into the Christian period?

OK. I’ve already asked too many questions. Somebody educate me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It strikes me that money being sacred would make counterfeiters and thieves the kind of people that we the people of Rome ought to crucify. At least it would make clear that offences against the public monetary system would be taken seriously. Don't fool with mother Juno. It might not go well for you. I'm not all that sure that attitude is not better than the one we have today where people who call me on the phone trying to steal my money or identity are considered business people rather than dangers to the public good.

Andres2, Paul M., Theodosius and 5 others like this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

You act as if there haven't been other deities responsible for either wealth or plentitude. Look at Chinese religion, Buddhism, Hinduism, even ancient Greek religion and you'll find Deities responsible for a bountiful harvest, wealth, abundance, etc. These were serious matters especially in a pre-industrial world where one bad season could mean tens of thousands of city dwellers starving to death and political/social unrest for the kingdom/empire.

Juno Moneta wasn't just about money, she also kept away instability (ie. Ensured abundance and kept away the bad stuff that comes with scarcity of stuff (ie. Famine, a depleted Treasury, political instability, etc.) If I was an Emperor I'd want her on my side.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Sorry. I can't answer your questions, but your new coin is quite nice especially the portrait.
    Domitian 2.jpg
    DOMITIAN
    AE As
    OBVERSE: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XI CENS POT P P, laureate head right, aegis at tip of bust
    REVERSE: MONETA AVGVSTI, S-C, Moneta standing left, holding scales & cornucopiae
    Struck at Rome, 85AD
    11.7g, 27mm
    RIC 384
    Postumus 4.jpg
    POSTUMUS
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and
    cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: MONETA AVG, Moneta standing left holding scales and cornucopiae
    Struck at Cologne, 262-5 AD
    3.7g. 21mm
    RIC 75
    Diocletian 8.jpg
    DIOCLETIAN
    AE27 Follis
    OBVERSE: IMP DIOCLETIANVS PF AVG, laureate head right
    REVERSE: SACR MONET AVGG ET CAESS NOSTR, Moneta standing left, holding scales & cornucopia, AQS in ex.; crescent and VI across fields
    Struck at Aquileia, 304-305 AD
    8.1g, 27mm
    RIC VI Aquileia 39a
    Constantius I 2.jpg
    CONSTANTIUS I
    AE Follis
    OBVERSE: CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES, Laurate bust, right
    REVERSE: SAC MON VRB AVGG ET CAESS NN, Moneta standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae. Star in right field. Mintmark RT
    Struck at Rome 302-303 AD
    8.8g, 27mm
    RIC VI 106a

Orfew, Andres2, Paul M. and 14 others like this.
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Philip I Ant 246AD.jpg

PS: Moneta was not the only one depicted with the balance scale (libra) and the cornucopiae. Look at Aequitas. She is depicted just like Moneta. The only thing that really tells them appart is the inscription.

The scale stood for fairness and honest measure, etc. The cornucopiae was a symbol of plentifulness, wealth, etc.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Orfew, Andres2, Paul M. and 14 others like this.
  7. Gavin Richardson

Helpful posts, all-- the images of Moneta as well as the philosophical justifications for her "holiness." Sallent's parallels from other religions make a lot of sense.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Should we mention that sometimes we are shown three monetae - one for each metal. This is a sestertius of Septimius Severus.
    rj4845bb2731.jpg

The one below is exceptional in having the three figures but Aequitas legend. It is also a bit exceptional for being a silver medallion with traces of gold.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=117846

9. Gavin Richardson

Yes we should mention that. I knew about Moneta. I did not know there were three Monetae. Fascinating.

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

hmmmm...i thought on a legend with the deity it was just saying "juno moneta is sacred to us"? kind of like "In Juno We Trust"?

Gavin Richardson, TIF and Bing like this.
  11. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

So let's ask the question.....

If the legend doesn't tell you whether it is Moneta or Aequitas then how would we describe the deity?

The following coin has a Fortuna related legend but the deity holds scales. I hedged my bets calling it either. A discussion with Curtis led him to call it Aequitas though probably due to expediency.

Septimius Severus denarius

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG II C, laureate head right
    Rev:– FORTVAE(sic) REDVCI, Moneta/Aequitas standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
    Minted in Emesa. A.D. 193
    Reference(s) – BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC -.

2.99g, 17.53mm, 180o

Additional comments from Curtis Clay - "This combination of the FORTVNAE REDVCI legend with a type of Aequitas is reported on a denarius of Pescennius Niger by Cohen 25 (in a private collection), but does not seem to have been attested before for either Septimius Severus or Julia Domna, at least I can't find any such coin in BMC or RSC"

[​IMG]

Orfew, Paul M., chrsmat71 and 10 others like this.
  12. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Not to mention the present day "Prosperity Gospels." I don't see much difference between SACRA MONETA and IN GOD WE TRUST. It's the same sentiment: paying tribute to God or the gods for our wealth.

Paul M., Gavin Richardson and Sallent like this.
  13. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

IMG_5227_burned.jpg IMG_5228_burned.jpg
    Diocletian
    Bronze 27mm
    Ticinum
    IMP C DIOCLETIANVS PF AVG
    laureate head right (large head type)
    SACRA MONET AVGG ET CAESS NOSTR
    Moneta standing left holding scales and cornucopiae. Star in R field,
    300-303 AD
    RIC 47a

This has had a very short soak in the soup, but I wanted to preserve the silver that remains.
    Sellers Pics
    diocletian obv.JPG
    diocletian rev.JPG

Johndakerftw, Paul M., Ajax and 8 others like this.
  14. Gavin Richardson

Sorry to resurrect this dead thread, but I meant to ask one follow-up question: Was this “Sacra Moneta” coin struck by the tetrarchs related in any meaningful way to Diocletian’s coinage reform? I know that Diocletian’s attempted reform was an initiative of 294 A.D., and the Sacra Moneta coinage was struck ca. 300, so the relationship seems tangential at best. But I seem to recall someone making this association, and I wanted to see if anyone could confirm or reject the possible connection.

The full reverse legend reads, "SACRA MONET AVGG ET CAESS NOSTR; “Sacred money of our augusti and caesars."

chrsmat71 likes this.
  15. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

The Edict on Maximum Prices was issued in 301

gregarious and Gavin Richardson like this.
  16. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

devil-1239349_960_720.jpg

Alegandron and Gavin Richardson like this.
  17. Gavin Richardson

Dead Thread Zombie. We are well acquainted.

gregarious likes this.
  18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Dead thread zombie rises again...as does Juno Moneta as a motif on coins.

I just learned of this modern issue and thought it most relevant to post here.

Juno Moneta.jpg

19. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

Really nice coin - I have been looking for an example with Aequitas for years.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  20. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Numerian issued a medallion with the three moneta which is interesting because technically one could argue that only gold and silver washed coins were being issued at the time.

21. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

According to Melville Jones (Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins), in the early empire the word "moneta" means "mint", not "coin". At first "Moneta" was an alternative name of the Goddess Juno and in the Republic the mint was near the temple of Juno Moneta. Later the term "moneta" also means a mintage, or even actual coins.

So the three moneta probably refer to the sections of the mint(s) that make copper, silver, and gold coins.

Diocletian reformed the coinage. His reform introduced new denominations. Nevertheless, it was not a complete success as the "Edict of Maximum Prices" proves. I will follow up on the idea it refers to an issue of the mint, rather than individual coins. Then, maybe this type is saying "This new denomination of coin (i.e. this issue) and its proclaimed value must be regarded as sacred." Don't mess with prices!

Gavin Richardson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted