Holy Buffalo Batman....

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mikem2000, Aug 4, 2012.

1. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I have been looking for a nice Type 1 Buff for quite some time and was looking at MS66's and 67's I took a chance from a bad photo on a 66 (Seller had a return policy). You could see it had a good strike and the toning looked nice, but I was not prepared for what I got. The coin was drop dead gorgeous. A beautiful deep gold tone with hints of other colors with booming luster. So the question, I have now is, does this coin have a good chance for a 67 if I do the crackout? I only paid $212 for the coin so I am very happy with the deal. First the crappy EBAY Photo

13 TYPE 1 BUFF.jpg

Now my Pics

'13 bUFF OBV.jpg

'13 bUFF REV.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I would think this one deserves the "green sticker" that seems to be a topic of controversy around this parts. Thanks for posting that beauty mikem!

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Images make it tough to judge luster but I feel the coin has a shot at 67. Big price jump. I would give it a shot.

5. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

Why crack it first? Why not just send it in the 66 holder?

6. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Well, I don't know a lot about it, but I thought with a crack out, the TPG is starting fresh with no previous opinion or prejudice. I was not worried of it down grading to a 65 but I guess it could come back questionable color, so there is a risk there. I am definitely open to all suggestions though.

Mike

7. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

If I've read correctly, they don't see the grade on the slab while they are grading.

8. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Cool, that would eliminate the risk of it getting bagged for color then.

9. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

10. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

There is really no downside to sending the coin back to PCGS as a regrade in holder. The original grade is not shared with the graders and the coin is guaranteed not to be downgraded.

11. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

No, I understand that. I consider genuine/details slabbed " bagged" but what I was saying, if left in the slab, the risk is eliminated, since in the oft chance they want to grade it Questionable Color, the PCGS guarantee would be applicable.

Mike

12. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Thanks Tom,

Do you have any thoughts on this coin making 67?

13. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It's tough to attempt to split an MS66 from MS67 given only images, but the coin does look very pretty and solid. At the same time, you might also be concerned that if cracked out it would come back as AT. Again, with only images all bets are off.

14. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Understood, thank you for your input :)

Draft saved Draft deleted