Hologram coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Reaghan, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Reaghan

Reaghan Member

Alright friends, do any of you know how the prism/holographic coins are made?
    Stickers? Engraved? Are they real holograms?
    I have only been able to find a handful of links about them. I read a few are scratchoff labels but I am really interested in them.
    Thanks in advance.

I've tried a couple of ways to recreate them, but they done stand out as well.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

First colorized, now holographic. What's next, Virtual Reality Coin Collecting?
    They look nice and sources are bound to increase, however, I don't think collecting them will be anything but a short term fad.

Reaghan likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not sure how it's applied but to do so damages the coin. I personally have no interest in them.

If you remember back to the colorized Quarters they were being sold for over $10 a coin. Even at that price for a full set that's over $500. And how much are they worth today? I've seen full sets go for $20 and that's over paying. I even got one in change once. Holographic coins will be the same thing.

5. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

I have a 50 new dollars coin from Taiwan that's "holographic." You tilt the reverse (with all the lines) one way, and see the number 50. Tilt it the other way, and you see some kind of symbol.
    Screenshot_2020-07-29-10-03-54.png

Reaghan, john65999 and spirityoda like this.
  6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

English 1 pound coin 2016
    The 'latent image' on the obverse is a hologram that changes from a ‘£’ symbol to the number '1' when the coin is viewed from different angles.

Launched for circulation by the Royal Mint on March 28th, 2017 as "The world's most secure coin". 500 million circulation issues were struck with a 2016 date but were not released until 2017.
    DSC00215.jpg DSC00216.jpg

Reaghan likes this.
  7. Reaghan

Reaghan Member

Thanks for the info everyone. I have never seen coins like this before. Are they printed on the quarters or just stickers? I love the shine / glow they give off. Its just a personal interest, value side of them i figured wasn't much.

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I would bet the hologram quarters are made from a very, very thin mylar with the hologram printed on it.

The newer minted coins (UK pound and Taiwan $50) are really not holograms in the common meaning. They are actually Fresnel diffraction gratings... just like the old picture postcards.

Reaghan likes this.
  10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Canada started producing actual holographic coins (gold maple leaves) in 2001. There is a die with the hologram on it, much as there is for mass-produced CDs and other optical media. The die doesn't last long before the effect starts to fade from die wear. I'm not sure how many strikes, but it's not a lot.

Reaghan likes this.
  11. Reaghan

Reaghan Member

Thank you for the info, actually pretty helpful.

12. Reaghan

Reaghan Member

Thank you, now now I can stop looking for stickers to buy for them. I appreciate the help.

13. Reaghan

Reaghan Member

There are some amazing coins out there.

GH#75 likes this.
  14. Reaghan

Reaghan Member

I'm not crazy about the colored ones, I'm just a sucker the sparklers

15. Reaghan

Reaghan Member

*for the sparklers.

expat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted