Holled Fugio cent, what would you do ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jazzcoins, Oct 6, 2008.

1. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Here's a fugio cent that I pulled out of an old can of coins from my uncle. I read on the internet, in those days they use to put holes in certain coins and hang them on there doors to keep evil away weird. I know that the hole brings the value down alot. I was thinking to get the hole repaired (plugged) would this be wise to do ? Would it bring the value up or it doesn;t matter? What would you do? FEEDBACK APPRECIATED
    The coin also looks like its a misaligned die. By the way I have no idea what the white spots are on the obverse it may be from my scanner not in person.

Thanks Jazzcoins Joe

:rolling:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

1) leave it alone.

#2) The hole was because people tied them together on a piece of cloth or string, supposedly so they wouldn't lose them.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Wow Jazz, You found that in an old can o' coins? What a find. I say leave it the way it is.

5. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

One of my Fugio's is holed and as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't hurt it since it doesn't keep me from attributing it. Yours is no different and since they were commonly holed, it just shows it was being used and not stuck in a drawer. ;)

Furthermore, I believe you've got a winner there, because if my eyes haven't fully gone yet, it's a Newman 12-U (R-5):

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/fugio_cents/fugio_cent_n012_U.htm

Great find! :thumb:

Ribbit :)

6. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Thanks for your input. By the way green18, looking at the coin do you think it;s a misalighned die?

Jazzcoins Joe

7. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Compare yours to the one I posted from CoinFacts. They are both alligned the same, slightly to the right. ;)

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OK Toad, then what would you say the reason is for this thing being copper plated ? Because that sure isn't copper there on the inside.

Looks like a plated pot metal fake to me.

Attached Files:

9. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

I did take it to a coin dealer and he said it was authentic Is it possible that the hole is corrosion from over the years .
    Thanks Jazzcoins Joe

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Anything is possible Joe. But I will tell you this much, the majority of coin dealers out there couldn't identify a genuine fugio if their lives depended on it. Neither could I.

But when I see metal of two different colors as the result of a hole being punched thru a coin - that tells me that the coin is plated. And fugio cents were not plated.

Could it be corrosion, yeah maybe. But why would the corrosion stop at a fixed line like that ? It doesn't make sense.

You touch the inner part, the part that is a different color, with a straight pin, scratch it, and see if it that color comes off. I'm betting it won't.

And don't worry, you are not going to hurt the coin by doing this. Kind of hard to damage a hole.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Joe, you askin' da rong person. GD da man.

12. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Thank you so much for that information I will try that.
    Jazzcoins Joe;)

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No offense but I think GD is seeing things. :)

14. tdec1000

tdec1000 Coin Rich, Money Poor :D

Nice coin, the open area after a drilling would open up the fresh metal to moisture where as the outside of the raw coin would have started a patina. Im guessing this coin was holed sometime later in its lifespan. maybe 5 to 10 years after its birth.

15. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

It is also possible the nail was rusty? Plus, holes seem to attract debris so the hole will be likely to corrode before anything else.

Here's a 1787 M46-E New Jersey Cent that I have and it is also crudely holed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As is evident, there is crud in the hole but I can guarantee you this is authentic. ;) I have 3 M46-E's and I got this one really cheap and will sell it someday for a slight profit. :D

I believe the OP coin is authentic but you never know. :eek:hya:

CORRECTION - I don't have 3 M46-E's, it's the 1787 M38-Y that I have 3 of. :D So that holed coin is the only one I have of that variety so I won't be selling it until I get a better replacement. ;) But I dew have 2 M38-Y's that I don't need. :cool:

16. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Question HandsomeToad I Would like to send this to a granding company to see if it;s authentic.I know that some companys will not grade damage coins any suggestions on a company that would
    Thanks again Jazzcoins Joe

17. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

I believe the 2 that will authenticate it, without a hefty surcharge (PCGS), are ANACS & NCS. As to which to go with, I think it doesn't really matter but if it were me, I'd go with NCS since you can establish yourself with them and if you ever have something that needs some TLC, they'd be the ones to send those to. ;)

18. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The Cave Troll collects holed coins in a Dansco 7070 album. There's no hole for America's first authorized coin(s) in the 7070 as it starts cents with the year 1800.

Very best regards,
    collect89

19. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Doesn't Hobo also collect holed coins? :thumb:

20. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

I would keep it in TheNoosts safe, you can too!

21. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Or for authentication purposes. ;)

Ribbit :D

Draft saved Draft deleted