Holed coins - I learned something new

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BostonCoins, Jan 17, 2021.

1. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

I’ve often seen holed silver coins initially a part of old charm bracelets. Coin collectors buy the bracelet and remove them to add to their collection. I am one.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

I remember an Antiques Roadshow episode featuring a vest a family kept that their great great great grandfather had created with dozens of tiny pockets inside to hold the gold coins he used to buy their farm land when he settled.
    It wasn't for holed coins it was actually tiny pockets inside the vest sewn shut to hide the coins from robbers during his voyage. But it was fascinating nonetheless... maybe someone here can find that episode...!

4. Neosynephrine

Neosynephrine Member

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I always thought it fascinating how the West usually used one hole for jewelry, while India and the East used two. Two holes makes more sense, string it through both and the proper side is always showing. How we do it with one hole and the coin flips back and forth.

6. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

0B8884C6-3D00-4DC0-84F3-638A29C1E55E.jpeg AE0E488E-CC1F-4798-8F34-7CED8873BB9E.jpeg
    Wartime jewelry, 20th century

7. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Prior to wristwatches men wore pocket watches and holed silver coins were sometimes used on a pocket watch fob and also with pocket watch silver chains.

BostonCoins and rrdenarius like this.
  8. montynj3417

montynj3417 Active Member

Ancient, well-preserved shipwrecks have been found in the Mediterranean, buried in mud for ages. Upon excavation, coins have been discovered in the socket where the mast had been stepped; placed there by the builder. This custom is still observed in that region to this day, by local boatyards.

PlanoSteve, BostonCoins and serafino like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted