Hobo Nickels - Take a look at this one!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by PittsburghMom, Jun 4, 2013.

1. PittsburghMom

PittsburghMom Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Now that's a piece of numismatic artwork.

4. PittsburghMom

I don't know why, but I like the fact that he doesn't choose uncirculated cents for his work.

5. jallengomez

I like that too. It gives them more character.

6. PittsburghMom

Exactly and even though I understand that he's out to make $, his work still feels less "commercial". Then again, maybe I'm just getting cynical after seeing so many ads for silver and gold plated coins every time I turn on the TV. Everything he makes is unique.

7. jallengomez

You mean that you don't think a 14k gold plated Indian Head Cent is art? :p

8. PittsburghMom

Ughhh! :)

I have to admit to being a tiny sliver of a sadist though, because I had a blast breaking out silver, platinum and gold plated quarters to use for regular purchases! I only felt a twinge of guilt for the coin boards that will be flooded with hopeful new owners that think they've just found a rare planchet error! :)

9. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

10. PittsburghMom

I could be wrong, but I believe that Howard is the carver and Thomas is the friend who sells his pieces on Ebay & other forums. He explained it last year in an email, but I can't recall for sure.

Wow! Just searched through your links. I can't believe his leprechaun coin sold for almost $600! A year ago his most expensive coin seemed to be around $200 and his cheapest was $50!

Blah... Now I'm regretting my big metal detector purchase last month or I'd potentially be a bidder on this one.

11. jallengomez

Thanks a lot for the pending nightmare in the error section. When they start telling us that we're all wrong and that they have a million dollar error, you're going to have to be the one to step in and disillusion them. ;)

12. PittsburghMom

Ha... The way this whole coin collecting phenomenon goes, just watch...THOSE will somehow probably end up being the rarest coins of all! Still though, those 2am commercials irk me on a level that I can't accurately describe via text! :)

BTW, we've only been here for 2 months, but we're loving North Atlanta! Have you made it down to Gallery 63 yet? We were thinking of taking some family/friends down for the night, but heard that prices are 3x the norm!

13. jallengomez

I'm glad to hear that you're liking the place so far. I've never been to 63. Let me know what you think of it.

14. fbelmont669

fbelmont669 New Member

15. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

16. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

What I like about the coin you posted is anyone can easily see it was an Indian Head Nickel. Some are so vastly different you can no longer see the original pedigree of the coin. I prefer enough of the original coin retained, to allow anyone to tell what was before it's enhancement/modification. Most of those listed on eBay by Thomas, are not that way. Nice artistic work but the nickel is no longer present.

17. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

That's REALLY cool artwork!

18. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Howard Thomas actually spent 25 years in the U.S. Navy, where he honed his skills as a carver. Now semi-retired, he carves for fun and profit.:smile

19. PittsburghMom

Thanks! The guy who sells them on Ebay is named Tiese Thomas, so I had assumed they were combining their names. Thanks for the info!

Final sold price was $721.83.

Draft saved Draft deleted