Hobo Nickel Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by OldSilver, Mar 30, 2012.

1. OldSilver

OldSilver New Member

Hey guys. During my visit to the whitman show last week, i had asked for the price and to look at one dealers hobo nickels. He handed me a stack and said they were 15 each. He proceeded to pull out another stack from under his table and said that they cost 30-40 because they were genuine. Genuine? I was under the impression that any buff or jeff nickel that had purposely been etched into a comical or fancier design was considered a hobo nickel. What constitutes a hobo nickel as "genuine"

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Why didn't you ask the dealer selling them? I'd consider them all genuine unless he meant they were carved by actual hobo's back in the day and not done by artists today.

4. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Good question Old Silver. I have never heard the term genuine when referring to a Hobo nickel. I have seen newly etched ones sell for $500.

5. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

I believe there is no term genuine when it comes to hobo nickels unless its a cast copy hobo nickel. Hobo nickel just refers to the sytle I believe.

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Ok guys, I did find some information about a "real" hobo nickel, and a "fake" hobo nickel.

"Real" hobo nickels are referring to the older ones originally carved by a 'HOBO' with a pocket knife. Reproductions are generally done with modern tools, etc.
    Here is a a few tips to determine if a hobo nickel is "Real".

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/famoustramp/nickel.html

However, I do not think the dealer was referring to "Real" hobo nickels when he said "genuine". Because I don't think a "real" hobo nickel would be only $15-$30. Then again, I really don't know.

7. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Haha, like I speculated in my first post. ;)

8. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I was a little surprised as well. I thought they were called hobo nickels because generally the carving was of a hobo. I learn something new everyday! Unfortunately, I also have to forget something to make room.

Draft saved Draft deleted