Hobo Nickel 1 of 3

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Brent, Your photo only shows a partial close-up view of your medal :(, I'd like to see a complete view of both sides if possible :D. Pictured below is a photo of both sides of my "classic hobo nickel", the only antique one I have.
    !913 Hobo Nickel, Al Kowsky Collection.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Badger Mint

Badger Mint Active Member

The first piece with the iridescent color in the cuts looks like a NYMike coin, he sold a LOT on Ebay a few years ago and used heat to tone his coins, it gave that coloring on the fresh cut metal

Chris Winkler and Collecting Nut like this.
  4. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

Hi, i dove deep into these, and have built up a nice collection. the first ones are all newer ones, not worth much. The condition of the Buffalo is important, original ones did not have much if any wear. That 1937 is pretty interesting done by a newer carver & sandblasted for that nice matte finish.

The 1913 is really nice and could be a valuable named one called Nostrildamas, as it has many of the features, ear over the brim, open nostril, similar nose & hat, and bow tie. He is here; http://www.hobonickels.org/QuickID/...php&nick=Nostrildamas&by=Stephen_Alpert_LM102

and you can see them all here. Quite fascinating as each one is based on a buffalo nickel, yet are so different! http://www.hobonickels.org/quick_id.php

5. Al Kowsky

Chris, Many thanks for your helpful info, I think you "hit the nail on the head" :happy:! My hobo nickel has all the characteristics you carefully pointed out :cool:. I bought the coin from a dealer/friend many years ago who had a small coin shop in Leroy, NY, John Cooper. One time when I stopped by for a visit John was grumbling that business was very slow. I didn't see anything in his shop that fit my collecting interests that day but remembered the hobo nickel he showed me, so I asked if he would be willing to sell it o_O. He quoted me $100.00 & I came home with the coin :D. I still treasure the coin ;).

Brent hobonickel likes this.
  6. Chris Winkler

the value of the Hobo nickels are doing quite well, that coin could be anywhere from a couple hundred to near $1,000. I think the record is $30k or more for some of the most famous carvers, a fascinating niche to say the least!

7. Brent hobonickel

Brent hobonickel Well-Known Member

The back is just a Morgan dollar- David signed the front.
    QUOTE="Al Kowsky, post: 8322574, member: 97383"]Brent, Your photo only shows a partial close-up view of your medal :(, I'd like to see a complete view of both sides if possible :D. Pictured below is a photo of both sides of my "classic hobo nickel", the only antique one I have.
    View attachment 1474475 [/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  8. Brent hobonickel

Brent hobonickel Well-Known Member

Your hobo nickel is very nice. At an auctionit would not surprise me if it sold for $1,500-$2,000.

Chris Winkler likes this.
  9. Al Kowsky

[/QUOTE]
    That Morgan dollar is a real treasure & a good laugh :D.

Screenshot_20220514-082602.png

10. Chris Winkler

I have given up trying to buy Hobo's at auction, it gets crazy pricing. Though when i go to sell, i guess i should consider them, though don't they double dip, charging 20% or more on both ends?

11. Al Kowsky

You can negotiate with them depending on the size of your consignment ;). If your consignment is large enough you may not pay anything for a sellers fee. Some auction houses like CNG may even give you a percentage of the buyers fee if the coin sells high enough.

Chris Winkler likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted