hoards at a glance......

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by YOC, Mar 20, 2014.

1. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I have two pictures of two hoards found close together.....both silver and both have export licences. They are described as Islamic silver, but at a glance can anyone discern what types they may be??? The ruler puts the larger coins at max 20mm and the smaller crude units at about 10mm? Some detail can be made out on the larger coins and some sort of border with writing in from what I can tell.
    small silver.jpg large silver.jpg
    bit of a long shot....

stevex6 and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I can't make anything out unfortunately. Don't have the best eyes!

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

where are these from and what do you think the value is ?

5. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Found in the middle east I believe and I would know the rough value if I knew what they were........

6. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

The best recent uncovered hoard was the one uncovered by that Canadian Central Bank and sold by the Royal Canadian Mint. The years are: 1912,1913, and 1914 and the denominations are $5.00 and $10.00. Pure gold, pure history, and a great buy.

7. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Better get some better photos of the coins. Some close up shots of some areas of the lot. Could be a bunch of slugs for all we know.

8. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

So I got up this morning and opened my safe. I took out my five new gold Kennedys and my old coin album. What beautiful masterpieces. My oldest coin is a 1808 Batav India, 5 1/32 of a guilder. Historical but cheap. By the way, for those of you who don't know world history, Batav India, was the Dutch East Indies controlled by Holland when Holland was the Batavian Republic. The country is now called Indonesian where Barry Sotero grew up.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Sure look odd for silver. Usually silver is black coming out of the ground. Being green, I have to assume debased silver with copper if they are silver. I definitely see Islamic type of coin there, but not enough to identify OP.

Draft saved Draft deleted