Hoard Coins and Magic Soup

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pishpash, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I was asked to try out my soup on a couple of hoard coins. I received two coins, one from the center of the hoard and the other from plough soil.

1 green obv.JPG 1 green rev.JPG

1 wolf obv.JPG

This was quite exciting for me because I haven't handled an uncleaned hoard coin before.

Normally, these would have gone into distilled water for some time but the purpose of this experiment was purely to test the soup. I did the second coin first.

IMG_4194.JPG
    Each coin had three goes in the soup. I have never soaked three times before!

The soap did soften the dirt making it easier to remove, the finished coins still have a layer of dirt on them that DW and brushing would probably remove, but we are still just looking at the soup.

The green one:

IMG_4218.JPG IMG_4219.JPG
    The other one:
    IMG_4220.JPG IMG_4221.JPG
    The coins look considerably better in hand.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice ... looks like your Cream of Pishpash Soup is a winner, eh?

[​IMG]

=> quick, patent that formula!!

soup nazi.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The obvious question to me is whether the rough surfaces on the coins as shown after souping is a result of the soup or just the way they were under the green. I would like to see a smooth coin (a copper cent or slick worn ancient) included as a control demonstrating the level of harshness of the soup.

I prefer those who clean coins with the attitude that their first interest is doing no harm to the coin. It is easy to say that we improved a coin because it was unidentifiable before treatment but I have gone too far on occasion and wished I had not applied a certain technique to a certain coin or stopped short of the point I did. This is the difference between 'Magic' soup and swill.

KIWITI likes this.
  5. Pishpash

I totally agree with you Doug.

To the naked eye, the surfaces are considerably smoother than the photo shows, and there is still residual dirt on the surfaces. This was done because I was asked to do it. After soaking there were eruptions of green that appeared, previously not visible. I don't think the soup has effected the surfaces. It did soften the green stuff allowing it to be removed and it also softened the dirt.

Had they been my coins, I would have gone down the DW route. Perhaps the soup for the green one at a later stage depending on how it progressed. I think that the soup is best used for the green mineral deposit that is defacing the coin, like this one.
    IMG_3179_burned.jpg
    Constantius II 20150079 rev.jpg
    After the soup I just peeled off the green, I have not done anything else to the surface. I just wanted to see the detail of the coin.

6. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Impressive! What are the ingredients of this magic soup, and how long was each soak? And did the patina really change from green to brown?

7. Pishpash

I was asked not to put the recipe on the internet but if anyone PMs me I am happy to divulge, providing they also agree not to put it out in cyberspace.....

8. Pishpash

@ancientcoinguru If you are asking about the FH, the soup softens the green stuff which can just be peeled off the coin using the blade of a scalpel. I didn't actually touch the surface of thecoin.

Alegandron likes this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

[​IMG]

that's amazing pish...dang.

i have several coin i would be tempted to use this on. i'm somewhat concerned about what is underneath the green encrustations however...what if it's bare metal? i'm kind of scared to remove it on some of them.

Pishpash and stevex6 like this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pish => don't give away your secret (it takes the mystery outta life)

;)

Stevearino, Pishpash and chrsmat71 like this.
  11. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

I had the same reserves that Doug said, but now I want to try your soup in some of my coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted