Hmm...is this 1942 Jefferson Nickel an impaired Type 1 Proof?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stldanceartist, Apr 27, 2015.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Bought this at a LCS last week for $2 because I thought the color was interesting, and it was relatively cheap. Now that I've got it out of the 2x2...I'm seeing some reflective fields underneath. So, I put it to you: is this an impaired proof?

1942 Jefferson Nickel.jpg

(additional shot of the reverse at a slight angle)​

1942 Jefferson Nickel - Reverse 2.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I vote no. The rims would be squared and the strike much sharper on a proof. I don't see the reflectivity you mention, but there are PL war nickels out there, so that is important to keep in mind as well.

USS656 likes this.
  4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

this is NOT a war nickel, it's a nickel composition 1942.

The best thing to check is the rims. If they are rounded at all, it is a circulation strike, if they are squared, post a pic and show us.

My vote is not a proof.

USS656 likes this.
  5. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

As Mike pointed out, not a war nickel and agree with both, rims too rounded from the photos.

6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Pretty coin, but not a proof strike. Beyond the roundness of the rims, the weaknesses on Monticello are pretty clear that it is a business strike. I'd have bought it for two bucks.

7. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I was being sloppy in my post and used words imprecisely. This is not the silver alloy. What I meant is that it is from the WWII era (1939-1945) and that there are proof like specimens and semi PL specimens known for the time period so that is something to consider (although I am not opining that it is anywhere close to PL).

8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I think the steps look too round to be a proof.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The lettering isn't fully struck up either, notice the bifurcations at the top of the U and T's in UNITED and STATES, and below the upright of the E and L in E PLURIBUS.

Draft saved Draft deleted