Hitting the books at coin school

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by acanthite, Jul 2, 2011.

1. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

As some of you know I am presently at the ANA Summer Seminar at Colorado Springs, CO. I have been here for close to two weeks now, classes end in a few days.

Last year Hobo gave a detailed and very informative account of the event. I cannot do equal justice to everything I have experienced here, but will at least give a basic sketch.

The first week here I took a basic grading course to US coins. The instructors were former and present graders at PCGS and ANACS. Since I have never had 'instruction' at grading coins, I went ahead and did the first course of the series. I was not disappointed, as the classes were rapid and engaging, and involved grading plenty of US series that I do not collect and therefore do not know how to grade. In addition most coins were uncirculated, another area I know relatively little about. Most days we graded non-stop both morning and afternoon sessions, spending between 30-45 seconds per coin, then reviewing our results with the grades of the instructors and with the grades marked on the slabs (covered with stickers when we did the grading). Everything was on the table, from circulated merc dimes to $20 gold. I got plenty out of the course, and could do another just like it and get as much out of it again.

Also last week I went to a few different lectures on Mexican coinage, taught by a numismatist who is also a member of CT (Ricardo de Leon Tallavas). These talks were very well done and I got a great deal out of them.

This week I am taking a five day course on counterfeit and alterated coin detection, taught by J.P. Martin and Bob Campbell. This course has been very useful and I think will be the most important information I will get out of this trip. We have been able to handle counterfeits and forgeries of all types, all from the ANA archives. The class normally runs over the mandated time, in order to get in as much information as possible.

Also this week I took night courses in varieties and errors, and a course taught by George Cuhaj and Joe Paonessa on the minting process. The latter was hands-on, using a jeweler's punch and press to create coins out of pewter. Naturally the attraction is to create errors, such as brockages, strike-throughs, clips, chain strikes, etc. Just as fun was making ancients using a hammer and a blob of silver.

What is as valuable as the courses in this seminar is the chance to speak to a great variety of collectors, some of whom are leading experts in their fields. The format is very informal, everyone eats lunch in the cafeteria, so it is possible to talk to just about anyone in attendance. The names of the more well-known numismatists here this week reads like a list of many of those authors CT members probably have in their numismatic library. In addition several of the senior graders at PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and DGS are instructors in many of the courses. For someone in the coin business or doing research in a numismatic field, the networking potential is rich.

I will not regret attending this seminar and will make a great effort to come back next year. It is encouraging that there are so many YNs here, and that the ANA is trying hard to get as many as possible to stay interested in the hobby. At the auction last week about $20000 was raised for the granting of YN scholarships next year.

Any specifics on the above I would be glad to answer but I will leave it to anyone interested to ask questions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Great Account! Sound like you had lots of fun!;)

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice read, glad you've had a good time.

5. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Excellent post. Thank you.

Question: Do the YNers take courses, also? (I ask since my daughter might go next year.)

guy

BTW: Your quote

"Un giorno diverrai cenere ed ombra, un nome e non piu"
    [One day you will become ash and shadow, a name and nothing more.]

seems a little too pessimistic. :too-cool-for:

I would like to think "What you do in life echoes in eternity." :rolleyes:

6. valente151

valente151 Mr. AU64, Jr.

7. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Thank you for the reply. Two more questions, if I could.

First, YNers are supposed to come a day early to the seminar. Is that necessary as I would like to fly in with my daughter?

Second, what is the average age and age range of the YNers?

Thank you ahead of time.

guy

8. valente151

valente151 Mr. AU64, Jr.

A. We flew in the day early and did group activities at night at an arcade with laser tag and other games and a pizza party. It was a good way to get to know each other. The other reason we flew in a day early was to get a head start on cataloging the lots for the YN benefit auction that raises money for YN scholarships. I do know of a few kids that came in the day after, but I would recommend that, if possible, she came the first day. It's just a good way for everyone to get to know each other. I can say that the ANA does a great job with keeping track of the YNs as they fly in and meeting them at the airport. You could also have her fly as an unaccompanied minor, where she would have a member of the airline keep track of her on the flight and while connecting (if necessary) and also walk her right to the ANA representative.

B. The YN's this year ranged from 12 to 22 this year. I think that the average age was around 15-17. You must be 12 to attend. The YNs are housed in a separate, chem-free dorm with chaperones. Even those that are over 21 are not allowed to drink or smoke while attending Summer Seminar if they are staying in the YN dorm. At 1:30 all YN's are supposed to be in their rooms, but it is still possible to socialize after this time. The YN's are given several perks by the ANA staff such as a fully stocked drink fridge, snacks, and pizza every night. The YNs are also housed in the CC Inn in which the rooms have seperate showers, fridges, freezers, microwaves, safes, and best of all, air conditioners. The CC Inn also has a lounge with many comfy couches, a pool table and big screen tv with cable and dvd player.

There are also nightly meetings with the chaperones where the YN's are able to talk to each other about their day and the chaperones stimulate discussions about what they learned. There is also a nightly activity. This year we had the night at the arcade, preparing for the auction, the talent show, the auction itself and a roundtable discussion where we all got a display case and displayed some of our coins for the other YNs and adults from Summer Seminar to look at and enjoy. Despite all of this, we also had a lot of time to enjoy ourselves, play extreme Uno and go on the tours or mini seminars that we wanted. (I suggest the Pike's Peak Cog Railway)

I hope this answers your questions and also gives you a little insight into what your daughter should expect.

9. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Thank you for your very thoughtful (and well-written!) post. I'll share this with my daughter and we'll see what 2012 brings. :thumb:

Thanks, again.

guy

Draft saved Draft deleted